Feedback on Paspalum Required

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfy Girl, May 13, 2004.

1. Turfy Girl

Turfy Girl LawnSite Member

Wow have I died and gone to heaven.......what a buzz to finally find an interactive site devoted to turf.

Sorry guys but I figured you needed a bit more femine input to this site. So here I am with a passion for the ocean, the environment and all things green. Well almost all things.

Having grown up with Paspalum and developed a passion for this species from an early age, it's great to see the rest of the world finally waking up to it. I've personally worked with it for over 20yrs.

I'm researching for a book on the subject and alternative turf species..............please let me know your experiences .....good or bad in dealing with paspalums (growing, maintenance etc). I'm chasing feedback from all around the world and would be soooooooo greatful. If you have any images you can post please do so.

A lot of my work with Paspalum has involved environmental projects eg., use of saline water for irrigation, nutirient stripping ponds etc.
    If anyone else has info on similar projects please let me know.

I'd also love to hear from any aussies on this matter because trust me you'll see a lot more of this species very soon.

Dang........can't get my smilies to work.......maybe next time.

Happy surfin' and turfin' to all.

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Welcome! Always need more females here. (as far as I'm concerned)

3. Turfy Girl

Thanks Metro for your welcome. Greatly appreciated.

4. indmowing

indmowing LawnSite Member

Welcome Turfy Girl from one aussie lass to another. Haven't got time to reply properly right now. One person I am sure would love to give you his feedback on this would be Mark Paisley who is a Greenskeeper in NSW

He has a little section on our website, he also used to write for the Property Care Industry Magazine I believe. You can contact his via his section on the web: www.indmowing.com.au/topdressing.htm

You been to the Lawn Mowing Association there in Perth, I know they have a lot of files and info on grass types etc, or is that the adelaide association, not sure.

If you are serious contact the Kurt Quambush at the Property Care Industry magazine and ask to have something put in the mag, Kurt claims a rather high subscription from all types of industries so you should get a good amout of feedback from aussies there also.

I do believe there is a Turf growers association who should be mroe then willing to give you all the information they have, being they are for the good of the industry etc.

Hope this helps. Must get back to it

Ebony

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Turfy Girl

I'm over in Hervey Bay, Queensland.

This grass is my favourite to cut, is more a shade/damp area grass here but clients who have a lot of it really enjoy the deeper colour, thicker leaf, and that great crispy cut.

By far the best grass to mow with a ride on, hate couch, really hate couch hybrids!.

6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Welcome Aussie chick!

Is paspalum what I call Carpet grass! I dont know!:confused: Post a pic of it! I only know Kykuyu, Couch and Carpet grass! Everything else here is weed as far as I'm concerened although Sir Walter Buffalo is out there, I've never mowed it!

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to Lawnsite. Without sounding ignorant, I have never heard or seen Paspalum. What type of climate does it grow in and I ask because basically we have 3 general areas here in the States. Warm season grasses obviously in the south where winters are light to nonexistent, transition zone and cool season which is my customer. Kentucky blue cultivars, red fescue and rye blends are the dominant lawns.
    Sorry for probably telling you something you already know but I am always looking for something different that may work here in Wisconsin.
    What conditions (soil type, ph, fert requirements, water requirements, weater and temp tolerance, common diseases, maintenance, mowing height) does the grass need?
    Lastly can you post a picture of it?

8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to this site.
    I have worked with Paspalum grass, typically the variety Seashore in the Philippine Islands and have begun to see it here. I am a out of time for now, have to go and get the crew for today-will post my experiences later.

9. Turfy Girl

Thanks for all the replies. Having spent an hour replying in detail and having the dang server boot me before it could be posted my patience has run out for now so here's a brief version.

I should have been a little more specific originally. My main interest is the species of Seashore Paspalum (paspalum vaginatum) and cultivars of this species.
    There are hundreds of species of paspalums and many cultivars, way too many to research at length.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can edit some small enough for this site to cope with.

With regard to your responses, I've briefly covered them in order below.

1. Ebony - Thanks, I'll follow up the lead re Mark Paisley.
    Having been one of the founding members of the Turf Growers Assoc of West Aus (and first commercial producer in WA), I'm very familiar with the on goings of the Lawn mowing contractors Assoc and an avid promoter of intergrated research and dissemination of information regarding turf having helped out many of it's members over the years.
    I'm also thrilled to see the establishment of the national turf producers association (the TPA) and hope with its links to the TPI (Turf Producers International) that we'll see even further improvements in the education of the growers, consumers and maintenance contractors.

2. Tonyr - I'd be interested to hear more about the variety you are reffering to because the description doesnt quite fit the Seashore paspalums. The varieties i'm aware that are available on a commercial level in QLD are Sea Isle varieties and TFWA02 (also known as VelveteneTM). Can you please provide a common name for the turf you were reffering to?
    I too have had enough of couch hybrids but there'll be many more in the future because there is so much money in turf breeding now, especially in the USA with all many universities getting involved.

3. Mickhippy - I'm pretty sure the grass you refer to as Carpet grass is Axonopus Compressus and not paspalum. As mentioned above the seashore paspalums are realtively new to QLD but I'm sure you'll hear a lot more about them.
    I've had a fair amount of experience with Sir Walter and it's a winner from both a maintenance and consumers point of view. Flavor of the year some may say. Pic's will be posted soon promise.

4. MOW ED - Whoa where to start with a reply to your queries. I think at this stage the best advice I could give you is to do a Google search on "paspalum in Wisconsin" because as far as I know the Wis University is doing research in that area and has a lot of valuable info.
    Some of the seashore paspalums that I'm researching once established can cope well with 8,000 - 13,000ppm TDS if not more and there are at least 16 native species in Florida and others throughout Texas etc.

Being warm season grasses they are not likely to cope well in a constantly cold climate but do extremely well in the bitterly cold night temp and scorching day temps experienced in the Middle East where this species is proving extremely popular.
    My experience tends to show that some varieties use less nitrogen than some of the popular couch hybrids and the blue grasses and ryes you reffered to.

The variety TFWA02 (VelveteneTM) has a similar appearance to Kentucky blue. It can be mowed as low as 3mm (eek no inches convertor on me at present but 12mm is half and inch......so its low).
    I'll provide more info and pics ASAP but check out paspalum on Google........you'll be amazed!!

5. SWD - Thanks - I'd love to hear more about your experiences as the Seashore variety is my real passion and though there's lots of tech info, I'm chasing on the ground experieince.
    Can you tell me if the Seashore's you're seeing in Texas are the Sea Isle's or local native varieties? Sea Isle obviously has a big marketing campaign behind it and guess whose behind that ...........yep another university.

Thanks again to all who replied and raspberries to my server for booting me first time round.

Stay Happy
    The Surfin' Turfin girl.

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi again,

wow, I'm well out of my depth here!

All I was referring to was the common stuff that grows in Qld wild.

I get a pic and show you asap.

You should find Mark helpful, nice guy, knows his stuff!