feedback on snapper commercial 21" hi-vac mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Feb 24, 2008.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have any experience using the snapper 21" commercial hi-vac mower? Local dealer has one left from last year on sale for $900 Canadian? Are they good or is the toro/exmark better?

snappercomm-trim_001.jpg

2. joed

any feedback?

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I dont think they make the one in the second picture anymore, but the first one is a great mower...very solid and easy to work on...I have one, but its the home owner one which is the same thing except engine and wheels.

4. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I have two snapper commercial hi-vacs with hondas and love them. They are great mowers and you cant get any other commercial 21" mower for the same price. GET IT!!!

5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are bagging, I believe that no other mower out there beats the Snapper Hi Vac. However, if you're mulching most of the time, I'd look into Exmark or Toro. The Ninja system on the Snapper doesn't do that great of a job imo.

6. 1parttimer

1parttimer LawnSite Member

If your thinking of buying the one on the bottom of the pic DONT DO IT . They are junk tranny no good wheels want last it is junk . Been there do that . :canadaflag:

7. joed

Thanks for the responses..greatly appreciated. It's the top one in the picture that is available..the hi-vac with the honda engine. Does that black tube going from the deck to the bag ever get clogged? How is the cut quality compared to a toro/exmark 21"?

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, they will clog if the grass is damp and long... I had one years ago. Not a bad mower, but they are a small parts hound. Bearings, bushings, friction disk, linkages...

I don't think one 21" mower is going to cut any better or worse then the next. Frankly I've seen 21" $250 craftsman mowers that cut and mulched better than any $1200 mower!

I'm not a big fan of the Toro/Exmark with the "old style" rear catcher either. They too are prone to clogging and only half filling the bag if it's wet out. But they mulch really well. If I was in the market for a 21" mower I'd get a Toro high-vac. It's their "new" commercial 21". The deck on it has been around for many years though. Best bagging decks around IMO.

9. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I use the snapper hi vac commercial the one pictured in the top it has been a very good mower. The only problem I have ever had with it is damp grass clogging in the chute from the mower to the bag. this ony happens in overgrown damp grass though. as far as tranny or wheel problems I have never had any and mine has been in service since 2003. I would definetly by another

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine doesn't climb very well. With my Lawnboys I am used to just standing to the side at the end of a turn and pull up on the lever. With the snapper, you have to be directly behind the machine and shake it up and down a bit to get it do take off up the hill because the wheels will just spin. I have the Kaw. engine, which isn't my favorite, but it gets the job done. I had the non hivac model for 2 days before I returned it for the hivac. It didnt' do anything well. Didn't bag worth a crap and didn't mulch worth a crap either.