feedback on the ferris 32" hydro mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Aug 10, 2003.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the opportunity to demo the 32" Ferris hydro the other day. Nice machine. The hydro and instant reverse were wonderful as I have only tried out belt drives before. On the other hand, the unit has to be manually steered which makes for a tiring time on tightly landscaped properties. If you own or have used this unit, what are your experiences with it? Also, is there a mulch kit available for it? The unit I tried had standard blades and was set up for side discharging. This lead to a lot of blow out with clippings landing in beds and on cars.

2. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I demoed Before ending up w/ the Viking 32". The Ferris SD did Not do well on slopes & occasionally had to be Manhandled, while the DD Viking did Not & could Hang a Hill.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A lot was said about it a couple of months ago. Do a search and you will find a bunch of comments from me and others.

4. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

I have had the ferrris 32 hydrocut ever since it came out.
    1.) keep the front casters greesed, with a days pratice, it will stear as easy as a dual hydo.

2.) I use dual ferris eliminator blades, almost no discharge , even in thick, tall grass. ( ferris does not have a mulching kit as of now, but there are many ocdc out there, or you can do like me and just make a permenant chute cover for just a few bucks.

3.) YES, without the locking front casters it does sux on steep hills. However they now offer the locking front casters , they whole kit is less than $50.00 , takes about 1 hour to swap out. now they will do any hillside you can stand on.:) :) :) :) :)

5. Have you tried any other brand of Hydro-Drive mowers? If not, be sure to do some test cuts with every brand that is sold by reputable dealers in your area. I looked at these units at the first of the year, mainly because of the price. But even though another type was much more expensive, I am thrilled with its operation each time I use it. As opposed to saving money on the front end, and wondering if I made the right decision. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

6. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

You can learn to use the controls on Any Mower & get comfortable with its operation but a SD hydro unit has limitations a DD does not by the nature of its design. In the 32" an SD is better manged because of the lighter weight but if you are putting Any Kind of Hrs. daily on the Unit a DD like the Viking Has distinct Advantages.

eXmark & Wright are the Only man. that currently offer a Duel Drive 32" Hydro.

7. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

yep, and they are at least 1000.00 more.

I have dd 36 and the Ferris 32 hydo cut opperates just like a dd, once u use it for an hour or 2 u will forget it is a sd.

what are these so call distinct advantages besides more cost up front and a little more maintenance?

As I posted earlier, ferris has fixd the problem about the front casters not locking - the will do hills and ditches now.

8. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Can you eXplain how a True zero turn is managed on an SD hydro & why those locking casters are necessary?

No SD hydro will be as easily managed as a DD. That's just Common Sense.

viking good.jpg

9. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

l on a dd unit u turn by braking eithe left or right - this is also what makes them able to hold a hill. a sd does not have dual hydos to break, this is where the locking front caster come in - they keep the mower from trying to turn down the hill.

with the thumb controls it will to a true zero trun - when you get to the end of your path you hit the reversse as you turn( no the machine does not back up but by doing this you do not have to manhandle the machine)easier to do than to explain.

I must not have any common sense, because the 32 sd is as easily or easier mananged as my 36 belt drive or my 48 dd

and we are still waitimg for the distinct advandages of a dd 32

10. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Independent control of each Drive Wheel would be One.

NeXt you will tell us the Block-off Plate needed to Mulch w/ this unit is as effective as the baffled Micro Mulch Kit avail. on the Viking.