1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Feedback on Toro 52" Z-Master

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by archiemeister, Apr 3, 2006.

1. archiemeister

archiemeister LawnSite Member

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2004 "52 Toro Z-Master with a 19Hp Kawasaki engine with only 150 hours. I'm a frustrated homeowner with approximately 3-4 acres of open grass fields to cut and prefer to do something better on my weekends than be slaved to my current 42" Sears Craftman tractor for 4-5 hours.

My questions:

1) Is the 19Hp Kawasaki engine powerful enough? The current owner wants to get rid of this for a larger 61" Toro with a larger engine. (He is a homeowner as well - this machine has never been used for commercial purposes.) My perception was that the current owner seemed to think this model was underpowered? Anyone out there using this model? Are you satisfied?

2) Looking at the websites, looks like Toro offers 2 different decks or baffle designs(?)... not sure if this is something I need to look for or be aware of? The current owner mentioned that the deck gets clogged and hence the reason he removed the plastic guard (which I understand is typical).

3) The asking price is $4200. Is this reasonable?

4) Anything else I should be aware of regarding Toro's?

Thanks in advance.
  2. loneryder

loneryder LawnSite Member

I may be late with this but I recently bought a 05 52" Zmaster with the 19 hp Kaw. engine. I mow about 3 acres of hilly terrain. I wouldn't worry about power. While I was a little worried Nothing will slow down this mower. It is a mean assed cutting machine. I'm mowing hills steeper than I should and it is plenty of power. The only problem I have is getting stuck in wet areas. I have a lot of them and the mower doesn't get good traction in them. I've gotten stuck several times. I paid $4500 for this mower with 37 hrs on it from a dealer in Nashville and paid $335 to have it shipped to my door in 3 days. You might offer a little less for that mower but I've found that these things hold their value. Only when they get over 1500 hrs do they start to decline in price. I think I got an excellent deal. Let us know what you do.
    Steve in Va.