Feedback Please!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Idealtim, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

A buddy of mine has decided to patent a idea of his finally. It's a rechargable 18volt blade sharpener that could be used to touch up your blades in between sharpenings. It's the size and shape of a dremel, only a little more powerful, with a round stone bit in it. It features a flat wing that comes off the top that holds a 45 degree angle, or any other angle you keep your blades at (it's adjustable.) The wing would ride along the bottom of the blade and the stone would quickly give the cutting edge a razor sharp finish. 2 or 3 passes on each edge would keep the blades sharp. Keep in mind that the thing is not made to re-bevel a a blade that has been abused for 2 monthes, but will will touch up blades that are not quite dull enough to be taken off and resharpened yet, giving more life in between sharpenings. Not sure about the price yet but let me know what you think of it.

2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

C'mon, anyone????

3. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

Something like that already exists... I have used one and don't love it, you don't have the best control with regard to pressure.

4. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

while on the road ..how would you get under the deck to all the blade so as to use this?

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I guess some people mow and never really get their blades very dull. Your idea is like that of renewing the edge on a pocket knife.

We are never that "easy" on blades. Once the tip gets rounded a bit, it takes the bench grinder to fix ours.

So what would be the best way to re-sharpen? I'd say a milling machine. Get a rig like that down to Home Depot prices and you'd have a big winner.