1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawndude8, Oct 27, 2004.

1. lawndude8

lawndude8 LawnSite Member
    from arizona

I need some advice on a couple of things to keep my lawn looking great.
    First my kids keep breaking or taking apart my sprinkler heads with the end result being a water geyser spraying all over the yard and wasting water. My landscaper suggested I install a product called vertical stop I guess it prevents the water geyser. After researching there website located at www.verticalstop.com I have found no other product simular? Has anyone ever used this and what was the cost of it installed as a aftermarket add on? Thanks in advace.

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I am trying to envision why you would allow your kids to just dismantle your irrigation system.... :confused:

You just let your kids tear stuff apart as they please?

I am not trying to be sarcastic. I am just trying to understand. And I speak from my own experience. I have two very young kids and I have partial custody of my little brother since my father died. Now I am not a serious hard ass or anything. But I'd never let my kids - or anyone's kids for that matter - just take apart my irrigation system. Especially not more than once!
  3. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I'm from the old school. If the kids have been warned once to leave the sprinklers alone, they would get a swift kick in the butt long before I'd be digging it up to vandal proof it on account of them.
  4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

when I was younger, I wouldn't have even gotten a warning. They should KNOW not to take apart things like that. If it isn't yours, don't mess with it or face the consequences.
  5. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 25 when I was younger I would get a warning at first. If I did it again I would whacked, lesson learned don't step out of line or cause damage to someone elses property.
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Forget verticalstop...try ButtStop on the kids! :waving:
  7. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience/advice in regards to the vertical stop,or is lawndude8 just going to be continually bashed about the lack of disciplinary actions towards his kids? No experience with Vertical Stop here.
    greasy_gun likes this.
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see it anyone bashing. Nobody's calling him names or being rude. I think it is fair to question why this would be allowed to happen.

It's no different than someone posting a thread saying, "Hey, my employees keep stealing my Felco Pruners and every week I have to buy new ones. Anyone know of a special tool to keep the Felco pruners chained up at night?" It would be only fair for people to challenge that question. Because most people could clearly see that the issue isn't with chaining up the Felcos every night. The real issue is taking charge of your employees. I think this issue is the same. And it only makes sense for us to question the situation.
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

wish we had some device that kept the highschool students fro mtaking apart the Hunter rotors. Even though you're not supposed to we tried epoxy and the heads did stay together so they just unscewed the entire spinkler. If anyone has used the product he was talking about I'd like to know about it as well so I can pass it along. And I have to agree with the above posts though, if my dad had caught me doing something like that to his stuff there would have been a swift reaction.
  10. lawndude8

lawndude8 LawnSite Member
    from arizona

Let me first just say I have 8 Kids 6 boys 2 girls and i live on 4 acres so this isnt always a problem caused by my kids. Sometimes it is a accident when they are mowing the grass they may sheer of a head or 2.

The problem I have is that I travel alot for my buisness and I hate the fact that when I am out of town and one of the heads is broken I am wasting water and spending money on the water wasted. I am only looking for advice on the product not how to teach my kids a lesson... Like many of you growing up when i did somthing i shouldnt it was a belt to my bare behind...I am a very laid back guy and only use those measures if it is called for...and I dont think the kids playing out in the sprinklers calls for a beating... it does get a little hot here in AZ sprinklers offer fun in the sun...

If anyone would like to step up and pull in what I make a year and raise a family of 8 better than I am doing give me a shout...I need a vacation