1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Feeding topdressed 419

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I have several clients who will have their 419 lawns topdressed this season.

The programs for these clients have been previously set, but I cannot decide what theory of fertilization should be used following a topdressing event. We are talking about core aeration and then a mixture of sand/organic material or topsoil. The turf will normally be completely buried in material about 1/2 inch thick.

The goal is to speed up the growth through the topdressing material. I have thought about these possible options:

• Ammonium Nitrate
    • Potassium Nitrate
    • Ammonium Sulfate
    • Triple 19

I'm sure each of these would work, but what does the turf really need in this situation? We do not have a soil test to go by. The topdressing process is indeed stressful on the turf, so I would think Potassium would be a good thing. Also, we want the root system to strengthen, so Phophorous would also be good. That leads me to think that Triple 19 might be the best fit.

Again, without a soil test I'm looking for a best fit option.
  2. br1dge

br1dge LawnSite Member

1st and foremost, I would get a soil sample to UGA Coop to test.. It aint that hard or expensive to do (but you know that already dont you bulldog? ;-)

I would suggest Triple 19, followed in a month with Ammonium Nitrate.. Topdressing is tough on the plant, but not as much damage happens to the roots as you may suspect. Much of the distress is caused by the leaf damage, and as a result would benefit from an "all round" application of N P K to recover.

Let me ask you, your reel mowers - are they Tru-Cuts? How does a striping reel on the front work? Doesnt that affect the cut?

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a new client of mine and the lawn has already been topdressed. Since it takes a couple of weeks to get the soil test back, we won't have the info in time to plan this application. Going forward, of course we will do a soil test.

As far as the reel mower goes, I use Trimmers. They are fantastic with the front roller. It helps prevent scalping in high/low spots and also leaves a decent stripe. Striping Bermuda is subtle, but you can see it for sure.