feeding white pines?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by burninbill, Feb 10, 2003.

1. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

Have any of you guys heard of a product called Macron? It is available from Lesco and it seems pretty affordable but I have no experience with this product. If anyone could let me know any info on this product or another product they have used I would appreciate it.

My scenario is as follows: 240 white pines, getting yellow at the tips of branches.

If I need to give more info just let me know.

Thanks

Jon Walker

2. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

More info. would be great. How old are they? Are they on a hill? Are they near a road? Is the yellowing only on one side, like the wind side or the road side? Are several trees together affected then skip a few then several more or are they all effected. Did the yellowing start in the summer or winter? Did the yellowing start on the lower tips and then progress upward? What type of pines do you have? How far apart were they planted? How big are they? Can you post a picture? Could be a lot of things. I'm sure the guys will have some ideas.

3. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

You say the tips of the branches are yellowing, is this the tips of the needles, the whole needle, or spots on the needles? Which needles at the tip of the branch? All of the needles 2-4" (or more) back from the branch tips (last year's growth)? The 2-4" (or more) of needles behind last year's growth (the previous years growth)? Is this occurring on all branches? When did you notice the yellowing? What have the weather conditions been like this winter (or when the yellowing started)? Have there been any chemical usage or spills near these trees (i.e: salt)?
    Is there any weeping on the trunks? Are there signs of insect boring on the trunk? Especially near the whorled branches?

jim