Feel like a Jerk because my mower is too big!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, May 4, 2011.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I mainly do the 1 acre plus lawns but this year Ive expanded into a couple of the little villages with 2 little 10-15000 sq ft lawns and I have a large frame 60" Toro 29hp ZTR. I did the larger of the 2 new small lawns, went pretty slow, trimmed pretty slow & blew off the walk when I was done and it took me 15 minutes. Thats with the blower taking me a few minutes to get running. It was pretty awkward using the big Z on that lawn. Kind of thinking that the customers could frown upon the whole giant mower 15 minute 40 dollar mow. I would like a 48ish stander but like I said, only have the 2 small lawns and a pool area and 2 hills I would otherwise use a stander. Even used is kind of tough, especially when you need a dump truck, excavator, skid steer also lol. What does everyone think? Anyone mow tiny lawns with big mowers?

2. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I do it all the time. Just don't tear up the turf!!!

3. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

a 42" would be good because it can fit through most back gates

4. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 54 z and 36 WB. If the z fits I use it as long as it won't tear. Only use 36 for hills and gates. And 40 is lowest I go even if it takes 15 mins. It has to be worth driving and unloading.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

neither have gates or any issues fitting anywhere its just that the lawns are so tiny. 40 is the lowest i go too, with gas over 4 it has to be that way.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is the reason why you are better off using a 4 thousand dollar Wb for 20 minutes than a 10 thousand dollar Ztr for 15, because it is not cost effective to
    run a 10,000 dollar machine for 15 minutes.

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I use my 60" Z on small 8K properties and have a smaller WB on the trailer. The customer shouldn't be concered about how long it takes, but the quality of the job when finished.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

No one uses small mowers here (except home owners). Never see a WB but most lots are at least 20,000 sq ft up to several acres.

9. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

$4k for a mower he would use 30 mins a week, when he can get it done with his bigger mower he already has is not cost effective to me.

At $40 a mow, buying that $4k walkbehind would mean he would be loosing money on the lawns for over 3 years.

10. VanAllen's Lawn Service

VanAllen's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I use a 36 inch wb......