Feel like helping a newbie?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cutandblow, Jun 8, 2004.

1. cutandblow

cutandblow LawnSite Member

I know prices vary by area, but what do you guys charge for:

1. Having to pick up a piece of equipment (say you have to rent a trencher or whatever)

2. Spreading mulch

3. Picking up and delivering mulch

4. Hedge trimming

5. Basic cut, weedeat, and blow on an average yard. (I know - what's "average?)

6. Pesticide application (in the process of getting my license)

7. Anything else you can think of that I'm missing - and I know it's a lot!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

DO A SEARCH
    I would have loved to find this site before i started in business...Just say what you want and think everyone will just give up their prices. Do a little work in starting your own business. What else do you want since you are asking for a little help for a NEWB?

trevor

3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Thirty seven dollars plus appropriate taxes :D

4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Three or four hundred dollars a day.
    Crawdad

payup

5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

.99 cents a minute plus tax

6. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

what you can do is act like a homeowner and call up different lawn sevices then use their prices to base your prices on. DO NOT under cut. it is not worth the sacrifice for yourself and for the mowing industry. Business will come trust me i have picked up 20 new accounts im one week before just do good work and take your time.

7. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

ok minimum $30 dollars a lawn maybe even $35----mulch job --if the mulch costs $3.99 a bag then charge the customer $8.00 per bag but that includes delivery and installation and tell them that if they question the bill, however I have not had one question it yet, I may not be the smartest guy on this site but if you ever need help or have questions then e-mail me at Firstclasslwninc@aol.com or PM me or go to my website www.firstclasslawninc.com

8. cutandblow

cutandblow LawnSite Member

Thanks MA&B and Firstclasslawn...much appreciated. Nice to get a couple of straight answers to what I thought were a few innocent questions.:laugh:

I won't undercut - just don't think it's right. I wouldn't want it done to me.

This mulch and bed edging job coming up will be my first solo job. It's for a guy in sales who has a ton of contacts and if I take care of him he's going to do the same. Just trying to get a feel for "average" rates. The guy I work for presently is just about the most unorganized, unmotivated person I've seen and figuring out his method of calculating rates is impossible. It seems to vary every job. He just wings it.

I see now figuring out what to charge is going to be the toughest part for the time being. I want to be fair to people and don't want to screw myself or undercut anyone else. Calling around for estimates seems to be the first step.

Thanks again!

9. irishrpm

irishrpm LawnSite Member

Glad I discovered this site! I have been in this business for roughly 11 years, but mostly just on the side until this season.

I personally don't do the bag mulch thing. I have an arangement with a local nursery. He charges me $15 per yard and I charge $60 for pick up, delivery and install. I charge $3.00 per foot of edging

I now have about 95 lawns and have a minimum of $30 per. Some are more, esp. for he guy that has a million goofy lawn ornaments. In fact, I have vowed not to bother with these lawns anymore.

rehobothlandscape@msn.com

10. zmak

zmak LawnSite Member

Nice to see some one from DE How about the co name
    I might have seen you around