feeler gauge alternative?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Jun 24, 2009.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I need to adjust the valves on my stihl Br 550, is there anything I can use instead of the feeler gauge to get it right. I believe it has to be .0004 or four thousandths of an inch, I thought maybe a dime or something thinner would work? Thanks

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The problem is the space that the feeler has to fit in is kinda U shaped. When you see the Stihl feeler gauge made for this job you'll understand why you have to use their tool.

3. Concrete Creations

Concrete Creations LawnSite Member

.004 is about as thick as a human hair. It is important to have the setting correct. So the short answer to your question is NO!!

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

we used to set coils with a business card.....NOT recomanding you do this, But it helps in a pinch

5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

You must have meant .004 not .0004". There's a foldable set you can buy, it ranges many feelers so you can use them for anything.

6. Biffula

Biffula LawnSite Member

A piece of paper is .004 thick. And yes, he meant .004, not .0004. Aluminum from a beer or coke can is .0047 thick. If you have calipers or a micrometer, you can keep measuring things until you find something with the right stiffness and width.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

As was stated its odd shaped, slightly pointed at the end. A wire type won't give an accurate reading either. Just get the right one from the stihl dealer and save aggravation.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

This is a great idea and works well with a coils larger base. Regular card, no gloss or heavy embossed print.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Dealers have the gagues, and I think they also have a "kit" that comes with the valve cover gasket and gague, Ive never replaced the gasket on mine.

A wire gague would work if you could find one.

A credit card or anyother majic wont work.

10. crankincraig

crankincraig LawnSite Member

Shim stock should work for you , you could probably find a local machine shop that has various thicknesses. I have many different ones on the shelf here , if you need a piece and cant find any let me know and I can put a piece in an envelope and send it to you