1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

feeling fuzzy this am.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by furball3, Jul 29, 2004.

1. furball3

furball3 LawnSite Member

I swear I fell like I have just had a case of beer whenever I arrive at this house.

This is a pic from a yard I do. They have almost 10 acres just like this. I think there are just 5 grass plants total on their property :confused: Every couple acres has a differant kind of week overgrowth. Some real thick & tall others short & made of steel.

I hate this weed! My exmark will mow about 60% of them on the first pass. Then about 50% of the leftovers on a second pass. Unless I go over the yard 4 or 5 times there are always some of these little f:angry:ers left.

I have to use some almost shot blades here since there is ALWAYS things laying in the yard to hit. (Branches, boulders that are burried, rope toys for huge dogs, tools etc)

I have ruined more sets of blades here so I refuse to use good blades. Yet I know that good blades would do a beter job at cutting these.

Stripping here? Not a chance! Dont even worry about it anymore.

dsc00793 copy.jpg
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

that picture is before you cut the lawn right?
  3. furball3

furball3 LawnSite Member

yea. Before I even worked up the courage to get out of my truck.
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what blades are you running and what height are you cutting? mulch kit or discharging?
  5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one or two lawns that aren't exactly my pride and joy. It kinda sucks, but on the other hand, I might eventually persuade them of the sense of fertilizer, aeration, seeding and so on. After all, their lawns deserve the best just as much as anyones!
  6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

WHY do you keep a customer like this???????
  7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried double blades?
    I have a fuzzy yard, too. I have to mow everything twice to get the seed heads down. If the lawn was easy, the first guy would still have it, and I wouldn't be mowing it at all. I also have the neighbor's yard, and that one is easyer, so I try and average out my time, it's still worthwhile to spend extra time to make it look good. Otherwise, I may lose them both, and they total to 90 bucks.
  8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I like this one - never seen that one before on LS.
  9. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I still don't understand why you would keep a customer that has so much crap laying in the yard you have to use blades that are shot. Even if you are not ruining good blades everytime you hit something hard enough to damage a blade you are causing extra stress on all of the other parts.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a few yards like that too. Here's a little tip on cutting down the stalky weeds. Sharpen you blades as close to the center hole as possible. My Dixie can get almost every one of them on one pass at speeds up to 11 mph. The only thing that really slows it down at this time of year is crabgrass.