1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Feeling pretty good...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcclureandson, Sep 2, 2005.

1. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

I got a call three months ago from a homeowner in an area of predominantly $500,000 + homes regarding a leaf clean-up from last year. He wanted to start up full-service maintenance (for me that's 12 months, all chem apps, weekly visits during growing season, all pruning, bed maintenance etc...) but I would have to make a fifteen minute one-way drive to service the account. I decided to sign him on...three months later I have a total of 12 full-service accounts in the immediate area...brings in about $2600 a month, 12 months a year...must be doing all right...had another LCO tell me he's not servicing the area any longer as he's recently lost 4 accounts...don't get me wrong, I make my share of mistakes but things like this boost my morale...just wanted to share.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Congradulations.. That's great keep up the good work!
    Now how much are you charging per month on a full service account again?
  3. mcclureandson

Thanks. Full service accounts are turn-key...turf care, all chem-apps, bed maintenance, seasonal color, pruning etc...and are priced based on 41 visits. Three new ones this week were $191/month, $239/month and $273/month. The other nine in that area range in price from a low of $173 (first guy I signed) to a high of $288 (that particular account wants service 52 weeks per year). I price them using the same formula as other weekly mows or bi-monthly mows...my projected hourly rate X how many man-hours I anticipate it will take to do the job. For full service accounts I add in costs associated with chem-apps, and a fudge factor because the standard of service is supposed to be higher. Mulch is at pre-set rates for the year (usually $6.50-7.00 bale of pine straw or $55.00 yard of hardwood mulch installed).
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

how much work is really involved...sounds like it could be a nice deal....
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Awesome! I had one of those this year, so I thought. She called us back at 230AM! to cancel. I think a blessing in disguise
  6. mcclureandson

I like full-service for a several reasons...

1) Fewer customers but more gross revenue PER customer
    2) Higher end properties are more likely to request landscaping services
    3) Referrals are usually for similar, higher-end properties
    4) Year round billing - good income in winter months
    5) Manicured properties are less damaging on equipment
    6) Full-service fits my company image/personality...never had a 'blow and go' mentality, which meant in the past I ended up providing services for free or at reduced rates because I couldn't stand weed-filled beds or unkempt shrubs etc..