Feeling Scrubby

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gravedigger5, Aug 22, 2002.

1. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

We've gotten some rain recently and every thing is starting to grow aging. Trying to get everybody back on a schedule and ended up doing alot of my smaller accounts today. Getting ready to leave this morning and this gal calls up for a one time cutting, and I said sure, I'd be there latter. When I show up, another guy pulls up and asks if I can come mow his yard right now cause his regular guy hadn't shown and he was getting his house appraised tomorrow. and I said sure why not. Got paid good at both jobs, but just didn't seem right to be jumping at jobs like that and also mowing some other lco's lawn. What do you guys think?? Am I becoming my own worst nightmare, A SCRUB?? :cry:

Thought We Were Having Fun... :confused:
  2. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

were they both one time jobs or did you take them over for good. I would be more concerned about putting my customers off and not getting to them timely than the fact I made some extra cash. Had the people called their lco and seen why he wasn't there. could be they put him off for several weeks due to drought and he was taking care of his weeklys first. You just don't know.
  3. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i think whats important here is that you obviously had some free time, you filled it, and will mostlikely end up getting some referrals from it. who cares if its a "scrubby" thing to do? i know my bills don't care how i pay them, so long as they're paid.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it was a scrubby thing to do, and if it was, who cares. I think people are being sucked into the whole "scrub" thing. Some people think that if you're not a fully fledged LCO, you're considered a scrub, which in some cases is true, but for the most part, it isn't.
  5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yeah, that's a tough one.

OK, I realize we are in a 'service industry', we've all got bills to pay, and all of that...but....

I had a lady call me wed. morning saying she needed her lawn cut..."today". Her REGULAR lawn guy couldn't make it to her place till friday....wow, she could not wait 2 whole days.

For fear of "feeling scrubby" I told her I was booked...couldn't help her. I thought "How would I feel if I were her REGULAR guy???"............how would I feel if I had been busting my crack trying to get everyone back on their schedule...only to pull up to one of my 'regulars' and see someone else had just cut it ???

I put the shoe on the other foot. We too had a bit of a dry spell and just started getting rain again last week. All the lawns started growing like crazy...all at the same time!. Of course, my weekly accounts come first and I finally have them back on track as of today...in spite of all the afternoon showers we've been getting. Now I just have to hammer out those few remaining pesky 10 day accounts....providing someone else has not already mowed them for me. ;)

If you are "feeling scrubby" then there must be a reason for it.

Follow your heart! :)
  6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I went out into the shop and sharpened a few blades and thought about this thread a little more.

Please rest assured I am in no way inferring that what you did was 'scrub-like'. There are way to many variables in such a situation to reach that kind of conclusion...besides, you weren't lowballing or deliberately trying to scam another LCO's clients. Actually, I commend you for pondering such a question...it shows you are considerate towards others. :)

I also reflected upon my first year as a full-time LCO. I had some pretty crumby lawns (and clients) that first year and I remember sometimes I would just pray that someone else had mowed them before I got to them. It's possible that you really did someone (the regular LCO) a favor by mowing it. You may have helped him to get caught up with his schedule. :D

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it-that's for sure. :)
  7. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

I feel as though I should say what you did was wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself...but I'm not going to because every single client I have used a different LCO before I came along...that grass didn't just appear overnight...
  8. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

As stated earlier, there was a reason you've questioned yourself. Both views in earlier post have some valid points. Don't lose any sleep over it, but maintain your non scrub goals. Good luck.
  9. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Heres some more info: they were both one time jobs, unless they change their minds. The lady I've mowed one time before, think she tries to mow her own but has allergies, don't know for sure if she has used any other lco. The other guy said he had a lco that didn't show but I don't know if that means he called the lco up to find out his situation. (I always encourage my customers to contact me with any problems) And when I got to this guys yard it was fairly tall and scragly looking, should have been aweek ago. I can't say I really want the job (to take it away from somebody else) but took extra time to make it look real good for the referal aspect of it. As far as putting off my regular customers, it took less than an hour for both, husltled (not scimped) the rest of the day and was only about half hour behind at the end of the day. It bothers me a little, cause I wouldn't want someone to come in and mow one of my yards, but I try hard to stay on top of my work and flexible as posible for my customers so it don't happen to me.

Can you believe it, I just got another one time job call while typing this. Gal said their mower broke and they are having company this weekend. Guess I got to go do some more scruben.:rolleyes: Marc

Are we Having Fun Yet???:(
  10. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

You're doing right. One time calls do not make a scrub. Most home owners have to wait an extended time to get their mower repaired if necessary. Alot of them need temporary help. That's something we'll do if convenient. All said and done, the other lco you mentioned may be a scrub. It's always satifying taking one away from them! Some people pay according to price, others according to quality.