feild mowing and bees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBL, Aug 12, 2006.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

we feild mowing 7 acres today and i must have hit a bees nest in ground because the little suckers got me good i was pissed i was having a relaxing day on the tractor too until they got me. i know its happend a lot to you other guys too

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Got stung today too. Couldnt imagine how either, I was just finishing mowing a drainage pond that was dry and I got out of it, started mowing the flat areas and bam, SOB got me right in the thigh. Must have flown into my shorts and stung me, little *hole.

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I got several last yr. Boy was it bad. First I was trimming overgrowth of vines ( You FL boys know the kind that take over everything) anyway, I was trimming away and turned and all of a sudden felt like someone was hitting me in the head with a hammer. 16 hornet stings on ear and around ear. My hedge trimmers landed about 80 ft away so while retrieving them stepped on a nail and went through my foot. (Thank you Hurricanes). The next week was getting in the truck and was putting on seat belt and just happened to be a wasp or something just as it went under my underarm BAM @#$#$@ oh that hurt. The worst one I have ever felt is I was taking a break and drinking a mt. dew about 10 yrs ago and set the can down turned around picked it up and took a sip and BAM a f@#$'ing bee sting right on the inside of lip. That muther E$#$@# hurt the worst. I would rather hit a finger everyday of the week with a hammer than go through that again.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Just be glad your not allergic. Not fun when you cant breathe. But you do get priority at the emergency room.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Got stung by a yellow jacket right on the eyelid this summer...talk about some serious pain and swelling.

6. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I got it right in the jaw by a wasp. The whole side of my face hurt.

7. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I feel for you! I got one on my eye brow a few years back and I wouldn't want it any closer to the eye than that. It's a good thing that it didn't get the eye instead.

8. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

get a cab tractor and smile when they run into your windows.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

yeah it has a cab but no ac so the doors were taken off and they came right in the sides at me but i was talking to another lco and he said one of his guys was pruning a bush a couple weeks ago and he said the tree just went yellow and black they stopped counting the stings around 75. they took him right to the hospital and drugged him up

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a customer with a European hornet nest underground along the house. They have been buzzing me but so far no stings since I knocked down a few of them with spray. They don't seem to want to have someone kill them professionally since they were told the chemicals would kill the shrubs and grass. (multiple entrances). I think they're hoping to not have the expense of the treatment or the shrub replacement. This is a $500,000 home, maybe more. Apparently they have been there for years but the guy has not wanted to deal with them. No wonder they needed a new lawn service this spring!

I told them I'd be back when the hornets are gone. I doubt they'll do anything about it.

would anyone here keep mowing/trimming with a hornets nest right next to the lawn?