Lawn Care Forum banner

Feild Repairs

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Turfdude 
#1 ·
This came to me after I finsihed my last post . What type of parts and tools do you carry for feild repairs if you do any? Wrenches, belts, blades, ect... I know that I am not a mechanic but I think I could handle some minor repairs.

Ron

#3 ·
I carry in my toolbox, the basic tools plus a cheap socket set, set of wrenches, electrical tape, some crimp connectors, zip ties, and a 12volt mini air compressor. I also carry extra blades, spare belts, spark plugs, air cleaner pre filter(already oiled) in a zip lock baggy, and assortment of nuts and bolts. I know I'm missing some things but thats all I can think of right now. It always seems like I never have what I need with me though.
:mad:

Mike
DLCS

#4 ·
DLCS has pretty much covered the bases. I'd add a tire repair kit.

As you may or may not know, ZTRs are pretty easy to get stuck when you run into an area that looks dry but isn't. At times you can find yourself mired in muck way quicker than you would have imagined and then it's time to break out the tow straps, come-alongs, jacks and boards for the tires.

Over the years, we've had several occasions where on of the guys on the crew, was mowing along a ditch line, hit a really wet spot that looked dry, and slid over into the ditch. It happens very quickly and after having it happen to myself personally, I don't climb onto anyone's back when it happens to them. To get one out, we use 2 tow straps and 2 come-alongs. We look for a tree or other strong object that we can wrap the tow strap around and then we use one of the come-alongs to pull the mower all the way to the short limit of the come-along. Then we take the other tow strap and come-along, tie it in a position where it can be hooked to the mower at the long limit. As we tighten up on it, we can unhook the first come-along and repeat the process until we get the mower all the way out. A few years ago, we had one of the ZTRs slide over a rock wall and into a ravine. Fortunately nobody got hurt. But we used those straps and come-alongs to save calling a tow truck and it took less time, too. Several neighbors had seen the accident and could quickly see that we were organized and had done this before. It actually led to us meeting some of the neighbors and getting other work. It's amazing what impresses some people.

Actually I learned this technique when I used to go rock crawling with my friend in his CJ7.

#5 ·
Does look like DLCS has most of it.
I also carry spare belt and cables for all equipment.
Oil
starting fluid
file
assorted hitch pins/cotter pins
vise grips
starter rope
grease gun for aerator in season

DUCT TAPE :D

#6 ·
Sometimes I think we carry enough spare parts to make another mower...lol.

We carry just about everything that was said including spare tires for the WB's and Toros. Hate getting flats and then having to go to the dealer.

#8 ·
I echo the tow straps and come along. A few years back one of my boys backed the walker up to a ditch to dump and the tractor started into the 6' deep ditch. We had to grab the mower and hold on to try to keep it from going in. We couldn't pull it out and we couldn't let go. Just happened the lady's son was home and saw us. He ran out and jumped in his 4WD and backed into the yard. He pulled out a tow strap so we could stabilize the mower. He then eased up and pulled it out. I didn't know the kid knew how to do anything. Later that year her son left for the Navy and he is now a Navy Seal. I guess I misjudged him. Its great to have people like him defending our country.

#10 ·
Gotta have the Gerber.. mine's always on my belt!

It's a multi-tool... like the Leatherman, only better;)

#11 ·
I must also agree on a tow strap I know they have gotten me out of several binds outside. So much so that I invested in a winch for my 4x4. Would this be overkill for a general setup? If I am left on my own I quickly fall into the Tim Allen mentality of needing more power Augh Augh Augh!!!

Ron

#13 ·
I have almost a second shop on my trailer. I have a big tool box that sits next to my Gravely w/b and infront of my GD on the trailer. I have every tool I need to do anything on any piece of equipment I own. I also carry blades, string, duct tape, jack stands, oil, gas, and lots of other stuff. I feel it comes in handy b/c I don't need to go to the shop if something breaks. If it is a big problem I have to still go to the dealer to buy extra parts b/c I don't carry thoes with me or keep them at the shop. I also really thing carring a first aid kit has really been a life saver:rolleyes: for me. Also a great thing for guys in the crews are to carry knives (I use a S&W S.W.A.T) or a Leatherman.

#14 ·
Some really great ideas in the above replies to your question. The only other item that has not been mentioned is a small flask. This is to only be used when the equipment or situation is so beyond your control that you might was well give up until the dealer can work on the equipment.:dizzy:

Thank you,
Gravely_Man

#15 ·
Originally posted by Gravely_Man
Some really great ideas in the above replies to your question. The only other item that has not been mentioned is a small flask. This is to only be used when the equipment or situation is so beyond your control that you might was well give up until the dealer can work on the equipment.:dizzy:

Thank you,
Gravely_Man
Come on-everybody knows that don't belong in the tool box, it could get broken. It should be safely stored in the cab.
Tip; don't put the lid on too tight, you may already be aggravated.:D

#17 ·
Don't forget spare springs for trimmer heads (since the brain dead laborers always lose them), fuses, fuses,fuses (fortruck,w/b,rider,etc., springs for walk behind hand brakes, wd-40, lock tight, assortment of kotter pins, clevis pins and common size nuts/bolts.

Always try to purchase the same make and model of good equipment so you can keep a smaller parts inventory.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.