Feild stone

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 4_wheeler, May 25, 2001.

1. 4_wheeler

4_wheeler LawnSite Member

I was watching a show and the were putting in a field stone patio. They said to use three different concrete mixtures. Is this necessary?

2. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

That would be the Larry mix, Curly mix and Moe mix.

:laugh: Just kidding. LOL :laugh:

Are you shure they didn't mean cement, sand and aggragate ?

They might have used a concrete footing. Set the stone in portland cement and mortered in between the stone.

Jim L

3. 4_wheeler

Yes, that is what it was but is it necessary?

4. greens1

Paul or Stonehenge are the people to ask regarding the neccesity of the footing, cement and morter.

Whenever I am using a morter to fill in between the stone I set it with a footing. With a flexable pavement the morter will crack and reqire constant maintenece.

Field stone can be tricky to lay, due to variation in the stone size, color and cut it is as much art as trade. I would consider a field stone patio a job for experienced pros, definatly not somthing to jump into.

Good Luck,
    Jim L

5. 4_wheeler

If you do a patio I can see where that is necessary but if it is a little project do you still need to do all of the prep work and buy the Portland and cement?
    At home around the fire pit I layed some stone and all that I did was dig up te soil and set the rock so that it is level and then I put sand around them. Did I take the right steps for a little project?

6. greens1

You took the right steps for a firepit, a patio is a long way from a firepit.

It also depends if you are talking about a raised patio or a ground level patio, there is a big difference.

If it is your place then I don't see a problem. If you are talking about a customer then you need to follow proper methodology.

Jim L