Felco Pruners

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by White Gardens, Jun 15, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I need a good general purpose pruning hand shears.

My last pair lasted me 6 years, and I've lost the spring for them and now I need to get another good pair. All the cheapos at the box stores don't work worth a darn.

Nobody around here carries Felco pruners, so I need to order a set. My question is, what do you think is the best over-all model that is good for all around shrub pruning. I'm think a good medium size as my hands are smaller.

Thanks!

2. I got the 2's and they are great
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

#2s

Thread over.

OH wait, hand pruners or trimming/hedge shears?

In hedge shears, buy Bahco

4. White Gardens

Hand Pruners. The Number 2 look similar to what I have already so might be a good match.

I'm also digging the look of the 13 for some extra leverage on bigger limbs.

5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

#2's here as well. I've never pruned with of their other models. Tried a few for fit and none felt as comfortable as the 2's. One pair is 35 years old and still going strong. All parts are replaceable. I've had to redip the handles of my newer pair which are about ten years old, and change blades on both a few times. Order yourself a nice scabbard for them as well. I prefer the slotted one over the one with belt clip. The scabbard with the belt clip rides higher and the pruners handles tend to dig in your side or back in certain positions. The one with the belt slots in the leather ride lower and move out of the way when bending and twisting in tight spots. Smaller hands here as well and these are a good fit.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. White Gardens

HA! I'll feel like I did when I was growing up on the farm. I might still have my old leather scabbard that I originally used to hold my pliers.

Looks like the #2 are it. Thanks for the responses guys. Thumbs Up

7. Get the sharpening kit with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. White Gardens

Just ordered the #2 pruners and also a new folding saw. :gunsfirin

Their folding saw was cheaper than the last one I had which was a Stihl that cost me 40bucks or better and the blade was super flimsy. Ultimately I ended up breaking it.

Thanks for the input guys.

9. SanDRoots

SanDRoots LawnSite Member

Dollar short and a day late, nevertheless...F8 at my hip...bar none one the best pruners available. Cant go wrong with any F# models in my humble opinion...Peace.

10. White Gardens

I saw those and I personally don't think that I was going to like the ergonomic handle. I've tried pruners with that type (not the same of course) of handle and didn't really care for the design. They just seemed uncomfortable.