Fell in hole today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnmedics, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Lawnmedics

Lawnmedics LawnSite Member

Today I saw a small hole while mowing (maybe 6 inches wide). I decided to mow over it and straddled it with my mowers tires (60 inch Toro ZTR).Next thing I know I was looking up at the shy. The ground had given way and my mower was hanging by its ROPS and deck with about two more feet to the bottom. Once we wenched it out we saw that a 2 inch sprinkler main had burst and created a sink hole. I feel lucky that it could have been worse but one more thing to worry about.
  2. JT1304

JT1304 LawnSite Member

About 13yrs ago I was working for the power company. We working on the side of road and dumping dirt and asphalt in a parking lot close by. The parking was for a very busy night club..........long story short........8-10 loads later with a backhoe, asphalt gave way, tractors back tire stuck, 80 ft deep well. I swear, 80 ft deep!!!! Only had a concrete(old),stone and asphalt cover. It had the stone ined walls and everything. City said"Sorry, just dump the dirt and ashalt in there." They finished it off and repaved.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Living in cave country we have streets to open up an swallow a car or two every now and then, so it happens. Glad your OK.
  4. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean by hangin by the ROPS...so did the ROPS help you or was it more the deck?
  5. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

thats better than falling in a old grave like i did a few years back.started over it like i have so many times and then it went.not very funny then but it is now.glad you are ok.
  6. Cavecrew

Cavecrew LawnSite Member

Mowing one of our old abandon rental properties last year it hadn't been mowed in more than a year. I was using a sacrafical lawnboy around the perimiter of the house suddenly the mower just dropped out of site.pulled it out and mowed as best I could. I started again and whomp did it again I had this happen about 3 times each holes was about 4 ft deep. I couldn't figure out what caused these holes. I told the wife about it and she says oh they had to move the outhouse several times!!!!!!!
  7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

(Quote) What do you mean by hangin by the ROPS...so did the ROPS help you or was it more the deck?

I think he means when the ground gave way and the mower began to tip over into the hole the ROPS hung on one side of the opening and the deck hung on the other side of the hole.

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear your ok! You could possibly market that ride to Disney and sell your shorts on ebay@@ :laugh: