fell off the truck

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Joey bag a' donuts, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Have you ever had anything fall off your truck while driving??? I was driving with a trailor full of mulch with my wheel barrow wedged on top of the tarp to help keep the tarp from flapping around, as Ive done millions of times. Took a tight turn and bloop, the wheel barrow rolled around in the middle of morning traffic...thank god no one was hurt and I felt ******** running out into the middle of the road to reclaim my wounded equipment.

2. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 10ft long Holly tree fall out of my truck. It took 2 of us to get it in the truck. I thought something that heavy wouldn't be able to come out of the truck, but I was going straight down the road at about 45 mph, no turns or hitting the breaks. Some how the wind got a hold of the tree. It was like slow motion. I saw it in my mirror as it rised up, I tried to hit the breaks to make it fall back into the truck but it was to late. It fell right into the middle of a 2 lane rd. I guess everyone behind me saw it happening so they avoided it. It was really embarising and I had to load it back into the truck myself. It cut and jabbed the heck out of me. After that I tie everything down.

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Many years ago I set a broadcast spreader in the back of a pick-up. Evidently in haste I forgot to strap it in. Moving down the ole I-5 @ 55 mph the spreader took flight. I am ever thankful that no one was hurt by my absent minded actions.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I lost a echo bp750 blower off the trailer last week, i had it sitting on the fender and forgot to put it back into the trailer before I took off to run back to the shop to replace a blade on the machine. I heard it fall, but didn't see it and didn't think much of it at the time, got back to finish up the job 1.5 hours later and realized that I lost it. Dropped $570 for a Shindaiwa EB8510 4stroke 45 minutes later. OOOOH that was a fun and expensive day

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Lets See??? Lost a couple of garbage cans. Never found. Had a mower fall off because my guy( me too) forgot to pin the gate, droped a edger going over a speed bump from one part of a commercial job 1000 ft to the other half ( 40 bucks on a new fuel tank).
    Had my drop gate skipping over a mile down hwy because it was not pinned, didn't loose mower that time.
    Thats about it. Misc leaves and some grass blades here and there but that don't count.

6. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I lost the discharge chute for my tractor this week. When i got to the next stop sign the lady behind me told me about it so i was able to go back and pick it up before someone else did.:waving:

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, but I did leave my backpack blower sitting on the wide trailer tongue once, then as I started driving, it fell off and I ran over it with the trailer. Damage to the turbofan shroud cost 70-odd dollars to fix just in parts.

Of course, I've forgotten to secure the Wb and had that hit the front of the trailer pretty hard. Damage aside, a 500-pound float deck slamming into the front of the trailer literally pushes your truck, it's not funny.

After a few incidents like that, I started taking it a lot easier. Nowadays, I drive so carefully, I leave my barrow sitting upright in the trailer and it doesn't tip over or move, sometimes I have tools in it as well (shovels, rakes, etc), and it all stays in one place.

As a neat side-effect I get better fuel mileage, my tires and brakes and everything lasts at least 3-4 times longer as well. :rolleyes:

8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 40 ft ladder go sliding forward during a power stop at a intersection... it didn't fall off but it did slide far past the front of my truck and was a little tipsy.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Yea sure, I was draggin a black mustang in the CTD with the mower in the back a few years ago. Won actually then got to the job with no ramps ;)

10. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Towing my trailer back empty from dropping off a load of sod had someone pull up beside me and ask if I was "missing something"? Trailer was not safety chained and had unhooked itself at the last corner. Lucky me the trailer didn't hit anyone or thing. Never happened again! Embarrassed is too mild a word for what I felt. From the comments in the thread it is apparent that if it weren't for the dumb lessons we probably wouldn't learn anything at all.:laugh: :laugh: