Fell over laughing and still cant get up!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobdaduke, Mar 15, 2005.

1. bobdaduke

bobdaduke LawnSite Member

:D
    I gave an estimate on a .75 acre lot with a $750,000 house, the woman need an estimate for sod and cutting the yard. I told her $55 to cut, she replied "I was thinking more like $25 per Cut". She said she couldn't afford it, OMG!!!!!

2. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why she cant afford to have it mowed ...... she probally has trouble paying the damn house payment and taxes. These people just seem to amaze me .... they dont have a clue but i bet she will find someone to mow it at that price , i dont lower for nobody, heck iam trying to pay for my half a million dollar home too !! lol

3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a guy here that will do it for $15.00....so tell her $15.00 to mow using her mower......cut a finger or two off,,,,get a lawyer to go after her homeowners policy and retire!!!!! :)

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Don't laugh too hard. The odds are, she will find someone to cut it for $25. When that happens, you'll have to compete with him. I have to deal with those situations every day and believe me, it's no picnic trying to compete in an under-priced, over-serviced market.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Sad truth is here its a 35 dollar cut and like you I would not budge and inch I tell them the price not the other way around

6. Classic Lawn

Classic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same thing the other day guy has a crap load of money and gave him a price of 40 and he was like thats too much. i have clients that dont have that much money and ask is that all when i tell them a price theres a problem here if u ask me.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

3/4 acre i need at least $75-$90. the monkeys here will do it for $30, that's why i stick to smaller properties

8. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Some know what it's like to work in the sun and the dust and the rain and the cold (the "is that all" people) and some just want someone to feel superior to and just care about having their property look good with little cost. They didn't get rich by paying their "employees" (which is how they think of us) a fair wage. After all, it IS just cutting grass. :help:
    And yes Booby. Smaller properties ARE the way to go. I can get $25.00, easy for
    10,000 sq feet but only $45.00 for an acre.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

10k for $25? lowballer! i can get $30 for 3.5k

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Dennis, that has always been a problem down there. People move there from the Midwest or the East Coast thinking it's cheap to live there and they'll have it made. Some figure out ahead of time that wages/salaries are similiarly low, but many do not.

I could not count the number of times, back when I lived in Clearwater, that I saw people packing a U-Haul in the middle of the night. They were hitting the pavement and ditching a lease because living in sunny Florida just wasn't what they thought it would be.

Hats off to you, Dennis. I hope you thrive despite the price pressures.