Fellow contractors in your area

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Apr 27, 2000.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

How do you get on with the other contractors<br>in your respective areas? Over here we tend<br>to get on fairly well,got a few dickheads<br>though,but all in all we all tend to get along well.How about you blokes?<p>Karl<br>

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Only have contact with them while getting fuel, or while eating at a restaraunt...I just nod my head.

3. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure to outsiders it's probably funny to watch us size one another up at a gas station, fast food joint, or lawn equipment shop. Relations are pretty cool between operators here, everyone's chasing the same buck (more or less) and it's major competitive. <p>We don't worry ourselves about what other guys are up to too much...we're too busy trying to improve our own business.<p><p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

4. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

It's funny how everybody in this forum can talk to each other so openly but when your out mowing all you get are dirty looks from other contractors. There's alot of that going around this year in my area. Just the other day I was passing another contractor and he flipped me the bird, I didn't even know him never saw him in my life. Funny thing this business is.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My customer base is very consistant,very seldom take on anyone new so the other cutters know I am not trying for any of their customers.I am friends with about six other opperators in the area.I referd a lot of new would-be customers to two of the young guys that were getting started so were very close.Price shoppers are suprised when they call one of us and find out we are friends and will not bid against each other.The bigger cutters don't talk much about business.There is one new cutter in town (two years)that lives two houses from one of my customers and has been trying to get thier business. I just wave as I drive by them.

6. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

lee, <br> man that guy sounds like hes a real jerk, i get along with with most of the people, i have been doing lawn care for a long time so i have worked for a few of them and left on good terms so they are pretty nice to me i always talk to other people when i get a chance i dont discuss prices and such but i try to keep a good professional conversation going, i have found that most people realize that as long as you do a good job you dont have to worry, i have a good relationship with my customers so im not worried about being undercut, some people say its a waste of valueable time to talk with your customers when you see them but to me thats good job security, they are less likely to fire you if they feel they know you and your family <p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I remember having small equipment and larger contractors wouldn't even speak to you or look your way. As my equipment got bigger, people start talking to you and you get the waves more often. I try to be friendly toward anyone who speaks or waves, but there are still some assholes

8. walkerrider

walkerrider LawnSite Member

Actually I find that I get along with everyone pretty well. That was before I started talking with you guys. Since then I have been fighting this rising urge to run down old ladies who insist on having their lawn cut real short and then want you to use their mowers.!T&*!@T#*!~T* damn of ladies

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have become friends with several of the other lawn company owners. I've given them work also. I've even helped them get their equipment running when I've seen them having problems. I guess it may be a farm raised boy thing, we all helped other farmers when they had problems. Actually around here it freeks people out when you offer to help them. They think your up to no good, because that just don't happen much around Chicago. The expression on their faces is priceless. LOL :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I get along reel good with most of the other guys around here, We all kind of help each other out if someone is in a jam or something.but there are some jerks around too.