fellow landscaper needs help....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G. Moose, Feb 25, 2003.

1. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

A good friend of mine is trying to get started in the lawn mowing industry. He asked me what a good mower to start with would be. Since he is in an area of mostly midsize residential properties, I told him a 48 or 52" walk behind would be a good start. I told him to try to find a used one that is still in good condition to save some money. Yesterday he called me with a mower he found and asked if it sounded like a good mower and if the price was right. The machine is a 48" Scag belt drive with the Advantage deck and a 17hp v-twin Kawasaki. I told him h*** ya that's a good mower- Scag is indestructible. The owner has had the mower since 8/1/02. I drove to the guys house with my friend to look at the mower and the guy says it has around 150 hours- I don't doubt him one bit. The mower is in perfect condition, very clean and well maintained. He used it in his solo lawn business, so there's no employees banging it around. Even the paint on the underside of the deck is still there 100%. Anyhow, this guy wants $2500 for the machine. Around here a new one will run around $3150. Is he asking too much? What do you think it's worth?

I told my friend I'd post something on here and see what everybody says since this is a great place for opinions from guys who make their living with these machines.

My friend sends along his thanks and appreciation to all who help.

:) :D

2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I would probably go for new if your prices are right.

3. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

i do not think that is all that out of line. Scag is an awsome mower. Have him well and deal a bit!

andy

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I would offer him $2000.00...Cash. If he didn't take it try to get him to split the difference $2250.00.....Stand on that offer and give him your phone # and walk. If he don't call you after a day or so, go buy it.

Good mower for the bucks....

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

2000 tops i can get that mower cash new 2900 dollars

6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I think he's offering too much. Offer no higher than $2200. I would shoot for like $1900. Oh and I agree that Scags are
    in-destructible:D