1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Females in The Lawn Care Industry

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by leannesinclair, Feb 2, 2007.

1. leannesinclair

leannesinclair LawnSite Member

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to introduce myself and tell everyone that I have learned a lot of information and helpful tips from this site. I will be launching my lawn care company in April of 2007 full time! I am taking the leap from the corporate world and into the world I love, working out doors. I just wanted to comment on the general reception I have encountered from other LCO operators, dealers, and others in the industry. I realize that I am in the minority in this field (being a woman) but would like to say I am happy to report I have had nothing but plesant encounters all along the way! I have received my fair share of comments (how nice it is to see a woman in shorts and workbooks) but it is nothing making a joke right back doesn't fix. Overall, I have found that having a respect for the business, acknowleddging how tough the work can be, treating everyone with respect, and operating an honest business (no low balling) is more important than my gender. Just wanted to get some opinions or thoughts on women working in this field. Mostly what I have found is I am sweating just as hard as the guys, and they respect me for that. It has been great getting to know hard working and friendly people instead of the normal 'too good for you' corporate crowd!
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

:waving: :waving: :waving: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:
  3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

John wanted to ask if you name is Katie!?

4. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  5. John Gamba

from ct

she typed better:laugh:
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck on your edevours in the lawn & landscape field. I don't see a problem with women in this industry and around here there are several women working for landscaping company's. I do however believe most people will not be sure if you can handle the workload like men do since this is mainly a mans field. I'm not saying you can't do it but you will have to prove yourself over time and show everyone your just as capable as a man. You sound ambitious and hard working, just do great work and be patient and things should go your way. Its to bad there aren't more women like you who want to get out and work in this field it would go along way when it comes to staying in shape. GOOD LUCK!
  7. leannesinclair

leannesinclair LawnSite Member

Thank you so much for your encouragement. While in college, I worked for a friend's company building fences and oftentimes had to prove myself to homeowners because I was far from what they expected to show up at their front door. I am not a big tough looking woman and they weren't sure if I could pick up the 80lb bag of concrete or work in 100+ degree weather all day long! I would always laugh as the homeowners would stand on their patios drinking ice tea in the shade commenting on "how was I still working?" After finishing jobs they were impressed and would usually try to fix me up with their sons (ha ha)! Hey, nothing like getting a tan and a work out while making money! I look forward to the challenges that await!
  8. John Gamba

from ct

And listening to music:cool2: I think i'm falling in love:angel: :laugh:
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

women have no place in this industry
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously this remark by Grits is not the norm ... congratulations on your effort and pay no attention to hard heads like that. I'm just down the road in Chattanooga and understand the whole thing about the "corporate world". Good Luck and best wishes for success in your endeavor.