Fence built within SRW

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Jan 13, 2009.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

One challenge I frequently have is a customer wants us to construct a SRW along their property line. Then they also want a fence right on top of the SRW. In the past, I've just told them that wasn't possible and that we needed to construct the fence just inside the wall, and they'd effectively be losing a foot or more of their property.

But I started thinking, there must be some good way to do this without having to make the customer lose part of their property.

I don't like to use Cinder Blocks. I know that's an option. It's just not common around here and I really prefer SRW units over cinder blocks, by far.

So have any of you worked a wood fence INTO an SRW or on top of an SRW before? How'd you do it? Got any photos???

2. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

why not just have Srws as fence posts? put your wood or iron in between.

3. gcgrant

gcgrant LawnSite Member

4. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

That product looks good but your fence is still set back from the wall face. I think Jim is asking how to avoid losing 12" of setback from the wall face when sleeving for posts.

The only way I know would be to integrate columns into the wall with two-sided block and use those for 'posts' - spaced 6'-8' and spanned with wood panels, hardipanels or decorative iron etc.

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. We want to have little or no setback.

Something kinda like this;

.[​IMG]

or this;

.[​IMG]

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Any ideas above will cost a ton of money.

What I would do is get the property line marked my a surveyor. So you know EXACTLY where the line is. Build the wall on the line or as close to the line as possible. Then put the fence post right against the wall.

What are you loosing 6" tops?

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

There are sleeves that can go in, not "in" the block, but right behind the block, in which you may then drop in fence posts. These sleeves are made specifically for the retaining wall industry.

8. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

The walls above look to be mortared walls, I don't believe that there is a way to build a fence like that on a SRW wall.

9. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what it looks like to me also, I would probably say that you should not build a fence on an SRW unless it was a small decorative fence say under two feet tall. anything more and say good bye in the wind.

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Your biggest challenge is the wind that will blow against it and move the block. We've done them before directly on the wall, but only with aluminum.