Fence Gate Opener Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BSDeality, Nov 30, 2006.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Recently I put up a stockade fence to hide my truck from my a-hole neighbors. I decided after the fact that I would add a gate to it to hide it from the road too. I have a 14' swinging gate made of the same fence material. After having it up for over a week I must say its a PAIN IN THE ASS to open and close that damn gate every time I come on or off the property. I'm looking into getting a gate opener.

It is a Push to Open style (opens outward). I haven't weighed the gate, but it 14' and is made of a 8' and 6' section of stockade fence, a 5'x4' piece of 3/4" plywood plus a 12' 2x4 I cut up to bridge the two pieces together. I would estimate the weight to be somewhere around 125 lbs.

From what I've read so far they don't recommend using gate openers on a solid wood fence because of wind-load. I think I will be OK because the area is pretty sheltered and the only time it might come into play is when the gate is closing there might be some resistance. Could I possibly help this by putting a spring on it to assist the closing process? Is anyone familiar with Gate Openers or have a unit (reasonably priced) they recommend? The range isn't too important because I have to do a three point turn anyways to get into the area so it'll take me 20 seconds to get turned around while the gate is opening anyway.

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I just had one of those sliding fences installed. I had a fence before where it was two 5ft swing gates that you open each time you go in or out. I had one 14ft slide gate installed, it was around two grand, and then another $2800 for the electric opener, but I didnt get the electric opener, money can be spent elsewhere. anyway, look into the slider gates, I forget what they're called, but im sure someone here does.

3. BSDeality

due to the lay of the land I can't have a retractable. I'm bound by an uphill grade and a 26" tree on the other side.

I'll take a picture of it in a minute.

4. BSDeality

here is the picture. The other thing I should mention is the road. I don't think I could slide the gate across the road. :nono:

fenced-area.JPG

5. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Check this site. These things are a bit expensive, however, some of the ones I see here are also designed for use at High traffic gates like subdivisions and commercial businesses. I would think that with your size gate and the weight of it, you could get by with one of the smaller swingarm styles or even a linear arm for your application.
    http://www.gatedepot.com

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

why couldnt it slide towards your lawn area?

7. BSDeality

I would assume the sliding style needs to have some sort of frame to sit on. That would require putting another post in the middle of the lawn which I don't want to do.

8. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Go to Home Depot's website and type in 'gate'. They carry Mighty Mule brand and I believe you can can get them in 120v and 12v models, single or double gate. Actually I think you can even get them in solar powered but don't remember if HD sells them but I believe Mighty Mule offered them.

They are rated for different weight gates and I had considered them myself. I'm about to finish a privacy fence and the gates are the last thing in. I'm doing (2) 6'H x 7'L gates though. I've got some treated boards on my trailer now so I'll go weigh them and maybe you can get an idea of weight.

Andy:)

9. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

As far as the sliding gate goes, it would be a great idea but hinged gates are sooo much cheaper. You have to have alot of cantilevered gate to handle the weight. I don't think a wooden gate would have the strength or rigidity.

10. BSDeality

the gate in the picture is one piece. 14'x6' just FYI. I think I am going to replace the wood braces with aluminum to ease up the weight and also make them a bit longer.

I had seen the might mule ones online. It seems like the 350 will work, I'm not sure if I would get 12v or 120v. I could run electric out there for it and a work light would be nice too, but at the same time buying a deep cycle battery would be a lot easier.