Fence Gate Opener Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BSDeality, Nov 30, 2006.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

my father does commerical gate operators they make a swing open type which i think is nicer be cause of the easy to work on and set up i know the gto pro in northern catalog are crap. he gets them for some place called power door i belive its outta ny but they are expensive and have to be hard wired

2. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Matt, just some broad measurements but I've got a 2x6x8 (1.5"x5.5"x96") .25 pcf pressure treated wood that is 24 lbs. It's dry but it's still 'green'. That equates to 5.5 board feet which equals 4.36 lbs per board foot.

I can't tell but it looks like you got 5/8 pickets and I'm assuming at least three 2x4 rails (14ft) and three 2x4 post/braces (6ft)....you are looking at roughly 343 pounds of fence.

That is a really rough estimate but it's probably good for +/- 20 pounds based on the material I figured. Hope it helps some.

Andy:)

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if its 343 lbs I must be HEMAN :weightlifter: :cool2:

You're pretty close in your assumptions but the fence in not PT with the exception of the plywood, and they're 1x3 braces. I guess I could weigh the a remaining section of the fence and multiply it to 14' ft to get a rough estimate.

4. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I am also going to put an electric opener on my fence thinking of going with the mighty mule. Opener, battery, solar glass, and 2 extra transmitters around $750 from tractor supply.

5. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Could you install a pole in concrete next to road side of the fence. The pole would have to be taller than your fence and run a steel cable from top pf pole to the end of gate near your home to take the weight off of that end
    I think would help you but that my two cents.:waving:

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I do have a diagonal cable on it. The problem is that the fence is so wobbly it just bends and bows. I would have to make a complete 2x4 form to transfer the load and keep the fence straight. I will see if I can get another picture later if its not raining showing my current brace, splice and cable setup.