1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fence install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JTS Landscaping lawn, May 14, 2008.

1. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i have 400 ft of chain link fence to install wondering how many post that im going to need for it. does 86 post seem right or do i need more. also was going to charge 7.50 per ft. is that to high or should i go a little lower.
  2. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

You can space the poles up to ten fet apart for resi fences. Take one fenceline, from corner to corner/gate/terminal, in linear feet, and divide them evenly for the best look.

I have a handy fence pole calc somewhere, and as my mind it too foggy from this sinus infection to be more help, but that sounds way too much.
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

BCF has some good advise there.

That is what I was thinking... 400 feet of fence and 10 foot spacing would be 40 post.
  4. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

You're price is about right.. we charge around 10/ft supply and install 5' chain link
  5. ericporter11

ericporter11 LawnSite Member

I would charge 3.50/per ft. I'm very successful because I'm always the cheapest.
  6. gobbles2700

gobbles2700 LawnSite Member

I did a 4' high 9ga chain-link fence that was one 110' long run last season, the fabric and posts alone cost $450 (not wholesale, contractor discount). The concrete and gravel added another $70. It took two half days to install for two guys. Total bill worked out to just under $13 a foot. 400' would be just under $10 a foot.

My supplier for chain-link is 40 miles away so the amount of material to distributing that cost over is the biggest factor in the above pricing. I would say if your distributor is close or delivers for a low rate, then your $7.50 rate is probably right on but if you need to make a commute to pick up then you will more than likely want to go up some.

# of posts should fall between 40 and 50, 10'-8' spacing on a 400' run of fence. Don't forget to go with larger posts and set them deeper for your terminal and any corner posts.

Good luck on the bid.