Fence Labor Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by angnak, Sep 13, 2005.

1. angnak

angnak LawnSite Member
    from NC

How much would you guys charge to due a fence? It is about 175 linear ft.
    Pretty flat land. no trees. I figured about 1500 for wood, supplies, delivery, concrete... Just have no idea about labor.

2. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

With the right equipment, we'd be able to do that in roughly 2 days, probably less. Not sure of your equip, overhead, blah blah blah, but for a 6' pressure treated dogeared privacy, we would charge roughly $17 to $ 19 per foot total, depending on the site slope, access, gates, etc. Our materials would run roughly $6 to $7 per foot, giving you about a $10 to $12 per foot labor rate. We would charge about $3200 plus gates ($125)

Have you done much fencing before?? Hope this helps. I wish more fence guys were on here.

3. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

When your setting your posts how many are using a combination of concrete and 3/4 clean gravel or 3/8 pea gravel.

Like this http://www.sonic.net/~cprowell/gate/postholes.htm

Or are people using strictly 3/4 clean compacting every couple of inches.

Or simply concrete. (seems u get more heaving in northern climates going this route and is more a matter of simplicity/efficiency electing this method

4. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I charge by the post like 35-55 depending upon thpe of fence. I don't use concrete on wood only gravel or just tamp the soil concrete is used on all vinyl applications.

5. angnak

angnak LawnSite Member
    from NC

Well, I would rent a two man post hole digger and 6" bit. Other than that I have everything. I have built a few fences for friends, and word spread around work and so here I am. I figured about 1500 for all materials except concrete. The fence is only 4' tall. What is your going rate for a 4'? Thanks again

Question about gates. On the fences I have built the gates seem to start sagging before they should. Do you have a website or maybe some advice on how to fix them or do them right in the first place. I do the whole X thing on the gates. I even use those turn buckle things. I was thinking of using these Any advice would be appreiciated.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I don't use concrete to set in wood fence posts,the concrete makes them more prone to break off at the base.I use compacted crushed only.double your materals and charge that for labor.1500 materials+3000 labor