1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fence Line Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by derbydon, Nov 3, 2005.

1. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

I am bidding a commercial contract with a requirement to treat 2200 ft of fence line for weed control twice per year.

1. Requires EPA compliant chem due to proximity to drainage ditches.
    2. Questionable as to whether I can apply preemerg in the area.

Plan on using Reward from Lesco.

Does anyone have similar experience. Specifically, what do you normally charge per sq ft.

2. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I've done alot of spraying for the military and fencelines were a large part of it. I use 2 quarts of Roundup Pro, 1.25 lbs Spike 80, and 1 pint No Foam A spreader/sticker per acre. Spike is expensive but works REAL well. A four pound bag usually runs about $165. Roundup pro is about $51/gal. I couldn't tell you a square foot amount because we charge them about $14K twice a year to spray 78 acres.
  3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

2200 feet long and how wide ??
    Figure cost for material .
    How long will it take you ?
    How much do you usually make a hour ?
  4. toxic man

toxic man LawnSite Member

Hey buddy,

Try looking at the Diuron label. It can be applied INTO ditches with some conditions! I don't think it is too terribly expensive either.

5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

instead of reward (even though i swar by it) try using rodeo + non-ionic surfactant. it is the same as round up but does no contain the surfactant that i hazardous to aquatic animals. the reason i say go with the rodeo is you can get 2.5gal for the same as 1gal of reward, and since you just doing a fence all you need is a local systemic (contact) herbicide, reward works good but sometimes to good, if the vegitaion is to large it can burn down to fast and not kill the roots (thats why it's labled only for control of cattail).
    as far as the pre-m, i can't think of the name of the chemical, but it is labled for aquatic use, i remember that it was priced OUT OF THIS WORLD!
  6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Get out early in the spring apply Round up and your choice of liquid pre-e. For the application in question I would use Surflan. How close to the drainage ditch are you talking. Normally it would only be a concern if your target area is actually is a run-off area.
  7. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips.

Got the contract.

Nice part is it is a facility adjacent to a company I already have under contract.

8. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

What's the amount that you use of each product per gallon or 1000. Just because rodeo is 1/2 the cost doesn't mean it's cheaper. If Reward is 1.5 oz per 1000 and Rodeo is 4 oz per 1000, the Reward is cheaper. I say this because so many of us base things off the price per bag/container. Break things down to a cost per 1000 and then see which is less expensive and make your choice from there.

I for one would go toward using Reward as long as the price was close, as I have not had good luck with Rodeo in the past.
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

that is a real good point and the reward + surfactant is about $10 per 100gal cheaper and yes you will use less product (chemical) and i do use reward A LOT, and it is GREAT. without seeing the property to be sprayed, i was assumeing that it might be over-grown, and if that be the case, i would use the rodeo for the sole reason of the fast burn down of reward. i have had problems with rodeo by not mixing enough surfactant (seems to be more of an issue w/ rodeo then reward (when reward is used out of water)).