fence post puller?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 2stroke, Apr 29, 2008.

1. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

can someone tell me how to get those metal posts to stabalize new tress out of the ground?
  2. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

At bare minimum, use a sharpshooter shovel to dig out around the metal "wings" that are usually slightly undergound when the post is set. I then use a long metal pry bar placed on a piece of 4x4 lumber. The 4x4 is your fulcrum to provide leverage. The long pry bar I use has one end that is tapered to almost a chisel point. Push the flat end against one of the metal bumps on the post at ground level. Apply downward force to the other end of the bar and out comes the post.
    Other tools you can use are found at farm stores. Try to find a t-post puller plate. It hooks onto the "T" contour of the post. The plate can be lifted with a "Handyman" Hi-Lift Jack....jacking the post out of the ground. Wish I could demonstrate....kinda hard to describe in writing! Good luck with your project.
  3. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Wiggle the post, or push to the point of bending, to free the plate from the soil. Pull it up and down, wiggle it some more, even if it only came up 1". Then push it down and pull it up a couple of times.
    This process works almost every time. Grab it low enough to put your knee under your grip and use your calf muscles to lift.
  5. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Old fashion wagon jack with a piece chain weld on and a hook .
  6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Use a round log and a chain hooked to your truck and it will pop right out. You can also buy one of those post pullers from TSC but if the post is not sticking up far enough you will have to use a piece of chain attached to the pullers hook to remove. I have the puller and it works well, but will wear you out if you have alot to pull out.

The short piece of log works really well and I will try to describe it. You take the log, the bigger the diameter the better, length doesnt matter but too short and it will dent the ground (so maybe a 18"-20" log). Put the log right up against the post, then attach the chain to the post and even though your pulling is linear the force exerted is vertical and you also have the leverage of the rolling log to help pull out the post. It will bend the post so they will have to be straightened if you want to use them again. I have plled out many posts like this and it works best if you have a winch instead of pulling with truck as you can watch while you are pulling out and you can also pull out a few posts before you have to move again. This goes without saying, but it also helps if you have 2 people even if you are using a winch
  7. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

i do a whole neighborhood by myself. its right at 200,000 sq. ft. there are about 200 of these that need to come out. im charging them $50 per hr. i dont want this to take all day. how about a high lift jack?
  8. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

A cheap and efficient way is to use a 15" or greater tire rim and a length of chain/cable - not rope.

1. Cinch the chain/cable tightly at the base of the post.
    2. Position the tire rim up against the post with the chain/cable coming over the top.
    3. Attach the loose end of the chain/cable to garden tractor/tractor/truck and drive forward... pop!

Note: a larger diameter rim will provide more leverage. Put a 2 - 3 foot section of 2x12 under the rim if the ground is soft/uneven.
  9. cgaengineer

This would work even better then my log trick...same principle, but stronger. Might have to be more careful though, as a tire rim would leave ruts.
  10. cgaengineer

You are in for a lot of work by yourself...any way you can get a second person to help you? The hi-lift jack is going to be slow as will be the log/wheel but I really think it would be fastest with a winch and a truck and a second person.