Fence Talk

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by makfence, Dec 23, 2005.

1. makfence

makfence LawnSite Member

hi, I own a small custom fence co. So i thought i`d try to start a thread on fence. Hope to get some response. Thank you mak.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Welcome,
    And good luck with the fencing, only part I ever want to do again is call a contractor like you.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

don't count on many responses since this is a lawn and landscape maintainence forum.....but I will suggest this....NEVER, EVER build a friggin gate for anyone that is less than 60" wide......cause we use big mowers :laugh:

4. makfence

makfence LawnSite Member

Your probley right, but I thought I`d try anyway. fencing is kind of related to the land scape. PS. have you covered on the gate.:)

5. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I have two clients asking us to replace their pool fence which are starting to fall down. I would be grateful for any insight that you could offer.
    I think it could be profitable especially since the holes are preexisting for the new posts.
    Mark

6. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I'M not a fence builder by trade mind you but I am a farmer that has built a lot of fence and this idea that the preexisting holes are going to make it easy is probable not true. Now I say probably because I don't know about your soil type, kinds of posts or kind of fence so I will limit my comments to wooden posts for field fence.
    If you try to use the existing holes you will never get the post solid. When you set posts you need to have the holes larger at the top than at the bottom so you can tamp/pack the soil in solidly from the bottom up. They will not settle in and tighten up on their own.

7. makfence

makfence LawnSite Member

Lead is correct on what he said for all wood fence. All other fence that require concrete. the holes need to be dug in the shape of a bell. so the frost dosen`t get under a cone shape hole and heave it out of the ground. Pool fences are probably the hardest to to, because every thing is magnafied compared to other fences. Good luck and if you need more advise just ask. mak :waving: :drinkup:

8. makfence

makfence LawnSite Member

Mark, another suggestion, If you know any young strong guy thats done fencing before you could hire him to dig some holes plus maybe he could give you some ideas.

9. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Makfence

Do you not suggest to use a post hole auger like on a Toro Dingo with a 9" bit to dig the holes if they are to be set in concrete? I would really like whatever advice that you can give me for building a 8' tall privacy fence for a customer. I have built my 6' tall privacy fence 4 years ago and used concrete on all the post and it is holding up really well.

Thanks for any advice from you

10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I helped a buddy start his fence biz. I agree with Mac. I do not want to get into that again. It is a nice biz though. I know a couple of people that are doing quite well doing fences.