1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fencing Question...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Raz, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Raz

Raz LawnSite Member

Can someone tell me a price to charge for replacing 10 - 8ft sections of fence and replacing 5 fence posts that are rotted and replace about 20-25 boards on the exsiting fence? I've done fence work in the past but only on my own home so I'm not quite sure how much? The owner has all of the materials except for the concrete and replacement boards... the 8ft sections of fence are the type that are already put together... Appreciate the help...
    - Ransom

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What type of fence, privacy, picket, split rail? Can you do the work by yourself?

I've never charged for this work either but by yourself I would think that double material costs would be a fair starting point. Figure up the costs of what the owner already has plus what you have to buy. If he has $600 in materials and you have to buy an additional $300, charge $900 for labor plus your costs (the $300) which totals $1200. Add more for a helper.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Generally the rate I charge (SD prices) is $15.00 a foot. Being he has some of the materials, I would figure what additional materials are needed put removal of rotten post etc, and additional labor.
  4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

How long do you think it will take?