Ferris 1000 vs Other small ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wrtenterprises, Mar 17, 2001.

1. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you guys run Ferris equipment? If so, how do they compare in all arenas to Exmark, Scag and the rest of the big market share boys? A new local dealer quoted me a price of $5,500.00 on a 23hp Kawasaki w/52" deck. That's $1,100.00
    less than the Exmark and Scag prices!! All information will be helpful...

Wayne

2. mow4dough

mow4dough LawnSite Member

I run almost all ferris when it comes to heavy mowing equipment exept for a toro 255-Z. There Z is a nice mower, i have one, but up here we use the 3 wheel mowers. Other factors involved make them a great choice for me. All there parts seem to intercahange with there mowers like spindles, blades, belts ect. Another is quality. Everything is built heavy like, decks, frame, welds. The biggest reason for me is the factory is an hour from my house so i just take a ride and have any part I need. If you have any more questions email me. Can't say anything bad about them, they just keep running.
    P.S. try the dualdrive hydrowalk. Its the best walker i have ever owned

3. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

I'm curious why you use the 3 wheel mowers. I have a Ferris 3 wheeler and I love it. I see very few around here. Every one seems to run ZTRs. I assumed it was because they fit on the tailer better. The 3 wheel mowers seem like a simpler, easier to service machine and are better under trees.
    Maybe they need a catchy name. AZT

Frank

4. mow4dough

mow4dough LawnSite Member

It is my personal opinion that there 3 wheel mower lays the best cut in the market. Seems like you can let the lawn go a week in the spring and your still looking good. They require about the same maintainance since they are the same parts as a Z, but just in different places. They are also at least 2 grand less for a compairable Z which is always nice. I like your idea of the new name too.