Ferris 1000Z muffler heat kills grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tigs, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Tigs

Tigs LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 Ferris 1000Z, with 21hp Kawasaki. I have noticed brown spots on some lawns and I figured out it is where I stopped and got off the mower to move something. The heat from the muffler is killing the grass. The dealer says 'no way'. He has sold many of these machines and has never heard of this.
    Has anyone seen a problem like this? Any suggestions?

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Never seen a Ferris exhaust up close, but see if the dealer can weld something on there to re-route the exhaust to a side?? Doesn't seem like a big deal to fix that..

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I find it hard to believe unless you are letting it sit for a very long time or you have 2 foot flames shooting out the muffler. Do a test. Find a patch of grass that can be trashed and start it up and just let it sit there a while and see what happens. I have never heard of this happening with any mower but there is always a first time.

4. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

know a guy that has a cub tractor, same thing happening. motor was running way too rich and muffler was getting red hot after a few hours of cutting. Redirector might work for the symptoms, but maybe its something deeper. who knows.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I have 2 of them both on their second year...never a problem.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Were does the exhaust come out and were is the muffler located. I disagree with you guys, it can happen. I've seen it before. Its not common, but under certain conditions it does happen if the muffler is located on the bottom and real close to the grass. High heat like a muffler gets will kill the cells in a grass plant. If it is real close to the blades and the conditions are just right.

7. rott_dobe

rott_dobe LawnSite Member

According to posters in the Hustler forum here, it does happen. Hustler even admits that, although seldom, some people complain of their MiniZ's and Z's burning grass. I think Hustler is coming up with an adaptor or something to redirect the exhaust.

If you want more info, browse the Hustler forum.

8. Tigs

Tigs LawnSite Member

The muffler is located in the very back of the machine and the exhaust blows straight out to the side. The muffler is about 6" above the ground.
    We're trying to come up with a metal plate to bolt to the frame that will go under the muffler. We'll see if that helps.

9. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Just be careful about what you weld/attach to the mower.. Make sure it won't void the warranty..

10. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

Well we have a 3000z and a 1000z and both had that problem! Your dealer must be new? Because he should be aware of this Ferris offers an exhaust extention. I had a customer (buddy's dad thankfully) tell me my mower must be leaking something,after checking it out with a couple guys in my yard we thought it might be the exhaust also, so I wound er up for a few and with in 2 days there was a dead spot next to the rock I had placed! You can use a 1" copper elbow also,that was our dealers quick fix until Ferris made 1!! Hope this helps!!!! Our dealer has dealt with this for 2 years.