Ferris 1500,25hp leaving uncut grass

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Neil M, May 29, 2006.

1. Neil M

Neil M LawnSite Member

Need help or is this normal. I just purchased a Ferris 1500,25hp and it leaves a row of partially cut grass on the discharge chute side. I cut a full cut going one way and when I come back I have to overlap with 1/2 the mower. I'mgoing to see the dealer but thought I would ask here first. Thanks

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Check your engine speed, blade type and size. I have seen new machines assembled with two different length blades on them before. Also loose blade bolts so a blade is slipping on the spindle. I have also seen belts not properly routed on pulleys and through the idlers so the spindle pulley is slipping as well.
    It could also be your ground speed, the turf could be tall and sparse, there could be an obstruction under the deck disturbing the air flow.
    I ran a golf course in NE PA for a while and one of the guys pulls a large batwing mower into the shop saying one side isn't cutting well.
    We look underneath and the biggest damned ground hog you ever saw was wedged up under the deck around the spindle and above the blade.
    Apparently this hero of mine was chasing the ground hog around and ran him over then returned to mowing grass. Needless to say he had to clean the mess off the deck as I sure as hell wasn't.

3. Neil M

Neil M LawnSite Member

Everything seems to be right. Engine speed seems good, blades are tight to the specs, sharp and the same size with a clean under deck. The belt seems snug but I'm not sure how tight it should be.