1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris 1500Z Need advice!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ccondie, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ccondie

ccondie LawnSite Member

Iam looking into picking up a 1500z this weekend and am interrested in what people on here think of the ferris brand as well as that model. Are they good or bad? IS there a better brand or mower that is close to this one ? Thanks for the advice.
  2. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

Hello, i purchased the is2000z this year and have about 40 hours on her now. I could'nt be happier. I cut some Bermuda but mostly heinz 57 in my area and the cut quality is on par with the other mowers I had a chance to demo. When I bought my mower I did look at the 1500 but didn't run it due to dealer suggestion.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've had around 20 or more over the past 14 years. Extremely reliable machines IMO.
  4. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 1500, hated it. They handle good and the 4 wheel suspension is nice
    ,but the cut quality was not good and it did not stripe very good. Also before you buy it check out how you change the oil ,unless they changed it they are a pain to change oil. I think there are some better choices. I now run Scag and love them ,but I have had Exmark, Simplicity, Snapper, MTD Pro. For me the Ferris didn't do well ,but others love them. I would suggest that you demo one if at all possible.
  5. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I have the 1500 IS 52" 25 hp. Oil change is not to bad, cut on my machine is great and works well in heavey wet grass. Freind of mine has a large property that he owns and cut himself. He said he wanted to try my machine, ( he has a Scag cub) so i stopped over yesterday and he tried it. He like the ride and said the cut was the same. So i jump on his to check it out and it is a fine machine but for rooted areas he had i would rather be cutting on my machine. I like mine so far.
    Good luck.
  6. TriPLandscaping

TriPLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have one its the 48'' with the 21 kaw. I love the machine. Ride is great. Cut is great. Ya obviously its not going to shine when it is wet. I got a good deal on it and could not pass it up. I picked it up for $5300 out the door. I would strongly recommend this machine.
  7. e15757

e15757 LawnSite Member

may I ask the dealer where you found this? I'm shopping for one now and can't get the dealers to come off of $5999...not that I'm a great negotiator by any stretch