Ferris 3100 26 hp kaw liquid cooled?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dodgeplower, Feb 21, 2008.

1. dodgeplower

dodgeplower LawnSite Member

Any thoughts on them. Are they powerful enough. Dealer quote left over from last year 8000 a piece. Can you run a bagger ok with them?

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you are talking about a 61" deck and not the 72" like we have. our's has a 32 hp briggs. 8 grand is a very good price. i payed 10,200 for ours.

4. dodgeplower

yes they are 61 inch. do you think the 26 hp will be enough or should i get the 32hp. the 32 are going to be about 10,100 i think

5. rodfather

i'd have to weigh the price difference between the two.

the 32 is not liquid cooled so therefore the 26 will most likely last longer for ya. secondly, your mowing condition dictate whether or not that extra 6 hp is needed to keep ya from slowing down and bogging the engine.

6. dodgeplower

I appreciate your opinion. I think I may end up going with the 26 hp because of A: the price and B: the bagger will only be used on flat athletic fields and the grass will be kept short and also most of my lawns are relatively flat and kept short. They are supposed to have the same ground speed so I should be ok. I was told that with the suspension they scalp alot. Is this true?

7. rodfather

just the absolute total opposite...and i currently own 4 with independent suspension.

8. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed a 3100, not really because I was thinking about buying one, but my dealer needed to put some hours on it and wanted me to experience it anyway. It was pretty nice. Going from my 1500 to the 3100 was a big step up in size and power. The 26LC did pretty good. I don't remember having any power problems. It does take it a little longer to warm up than an air-cooled, but if you're using it all day, it will stay warm. The suspension is amazing. No scalping. The deck is connected to the suspension so when it moves, it raises the deck proportionally. Here's a link to Ferris' suspension description. Watch the movie to see how it works. http://ferrisindustries.com/pages/page.php?pageid=3

9. dodgeplower

I thought that the suspension was supposed to help keep them from scalping and i did demo the 5100 with the cat diesel in it last year on some commercial properties and had no problems. If i had all large commercial properties man would that ever be a great machine to have but with a big price tag to. Thanks

10. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I wanted to demo a 5100, but they didn't have any demo units available at the time. What kind of price did you get quoted? I've heard they are upper teens, like $18-19,000.