1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris 3100 26 Kaw or 30 Briggs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tlc2002, Mar 11, 2008.

1. tlc2002

tlc2002 LawnSite Member
    from 53597

Looking at a new ferris 3100 dealer says most are going with 30 hp Briggs I was thinking of the 26 kaw have had good luck with that motor on my scag would like to keep same motor but the briggs is cheaper dealer says that the fuel consumtion is not that much more. any advice on this
  2. growandmoe

growandmoe LawnSite Member

i just bought the 31oo with the 32 briggs. we don't get crazy hot up here and i didn't want to mess with the cooling system. if you're dealing with super hot temps go with the lc, i personally like hp.
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

id go with the 30... the 26 Liquids were popular, im assuming your looking at the 61" deck model. I have a 61" with the 27hp kohler, from the factory without mulcher blades or the mulch kit it had plenty of power, but honestly didnt chop up the grass at all, probably why it "felt" like it had a ton of power.

Add mulchers and the mulch kit baffles, yet i leave the discharge chute open and now that 27hp isnt so much balls anymore. A 30 would be the only way to go. No way at this point would i go downwards 1hp. Ive heard the 32hp version on the 72" deck is quite powerful though so thats what im going to end up with. Im not waiting half a year to land a 72" deck is3100z with a 37hp kawa.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

You get a 72" deck? How is its power in the taller grass ? Ive been told they eat it up pretty easy, im supposed to get one first week of April, is3100z 32hp/72", light kit, stripe kit/flap, should do well on the big properties.
  5. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

why not get another scag instead of the ferris and stay with the motor your happy with
  6. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

He doesn't want to get beaten to death. lol. Seriously, you'll appreciate the smooth ride of the Ferris, tlc2002. I demoed a 3100 with the lc kawi and it bogged a little bit when going full speed through biweekly cut grass. It did have to warm up for a couple minutes before I used it, too. I always let my 1500 warm up some, but it takes less time to get it ready to mow. I prefer air cooled engines on mowers and the Briggs Vanguard has an excellent reputation. Unless you will be mowing huge properties where the mower will be running a couple hours at a time, an air cooled should stay cool enough. If I was going to mow properties that required hours on end of mowing, I would probably look at a liquid cooled diesel instead of a liquid cooled gas.
  7. Ramairfreak98ss

I wanted a diesel too, or the 4500 liquid cooled 35hp Ferris, but the damn weight of them worries me the most because it just is too much mower for most of my lawns. I wanted a 72" deck for a lot of larger residentials that i do along with the commercial but the weight was too much :/ Gravely makes some nice stuff though too, and seriously id have ended up with a diesel 27 or 31hp Gravely 72" instead for practically the same money as the Ferris if it wasnt for the suspension.

One main reason for the new machine is im tired of being beat up at full speed on these larger properties, sit on a machine for almost 2hrs at 10mph and hit some of these hard bumps, mainly clay in NJ and its not fun. My newer 1500z that has full suspension is awesome and i want a large machine just like that. Im not a Ferris leghumper, and if it wasnt for their suspension, i most likely would have Simplicity, Gravely, JD instead, but once you ride on them, nothing else is anywhere remotely close to having the cadillac of lawn mowers, no matter how much they cost.

Next season ill either be adding a 61" deck 2000z or another 3100z as a second 61" mower.

Theyre flat out awesome. I seriouisly wish, although the CAT diesels kick arse, they offered the little briggs/dihatsu vangard diesels in the Ferris mowers, 27hp for the 4500z 61" deck and 31~hp turbo model for the 72" deck.

I have the 27hp on my Simplicity Legacy XL tractor with a 60" deck, it cuts nice, chops the grass up a lot since its a grooming mower, not a commercial deck ztr and has plenty of power until you hit some heavy stuff that your cutting twice, even that its fine just you cant mow through full speed 9-10mph, not to mention it sips fuel compared to the 27hp kohler gas on my 61" deck ferris.