Ferris 3100 / 37 DFI

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by puppypaws, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Yea, that sounds about right. Kinda like a non pilot sitting in a cockpit for the first time and being in awe of all those switches.:laugh:

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

True. I never thought about fumbling around for the switch when throttling down around beds, cars etc. It would kinda suck.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Dave, for all the people on LawnSite of which I've seen make so many remarks about me saying and believing a Hustler Super Z is the best mower on the market. Go ahead and tell everyone I talked you out of a Hustler mower, and every other mower while telling you that by far this would be the best mower for your specific application. Tell them I honestly talked you into buying the exact mower you bought when ordering the 3100 with the 37 DFI. Tell them how hard I pushed this particular mower, with no other mower even challenging what I believed your needs to be.

You can also ask greenology what I PM'ed him about the Ferris being his mower for the rough cutting areas he dealt with.

4. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you think the 3100 suspension is better than that of the Cheetah?

5. GMLC

Step #1-admitting you have a problem:) j/k

6. GMLC

If you ever have time demo a ferris 3100, a scag cheetah and a Gravely 400 series. They each have a different feel and it all depends on your properties.

7. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

I love the suspension idea but it just seems the more moving parts the more likely something will break. I just recently added an ISO kit to my mower and it made a big difference. Thinking about that Grammer seat next...

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had a problem, I've helped people make up their minds all over the country on what mower best suited their needs, from Ferris, Bad Boy, Scag, and Bobcat mainly. Most people mowing the small area they mow, and I consider that anything less than an acre, have no use for a mower of high speed.

I will tell you now, if I could not utilize the extra speed, I would be operating the 3100, with the 37 DFI tomorrow.

Four wheel independent suspension is far advanced to what a Cheetah has to offer, common sense will tell you this, the 3100 is in a class of its own.

9. GMLC

I almost bought a ferris. I loved everything about it(especially the suspn. and cut)but did not like the deck movement. Its really not bad but Im picky. Notice how long the deck chains are...and the deck moves a lot with the suspn. Keep in mind I mow some rough stuff and steep hills. My demo was a 2000 so its really not fair for me to comment on the 3100.

10. GMLC

I was just joking around. My accounts range from postage stamp to 5 acres. Around here top speeds are rare due to roughness and turf type.