Ferris 3100 61" 36 BB review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by greenology, Jul 18, 2013.

1. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

I guess his machine must have had the fuel lines coming from bottom of tank.

With the top draw it shouldn't be an issue, if it happened to cause a prob I would fit 2 little inline check valves. Shouldn't be more than a few dollars for all these parts.

2. greenology

Cheers! I should have had those pix in the beginning of this thread :hammerhead: I didn't think I was going to make this one when I loaded them.

Did you find the adjusters on the arm rests, might be of help to prevent your arm slipping off?

3. farmmower

farmmower LawnSite Member

I have about 16 hours on my machine now and have changed blades once. Changed oil at 6 hrs. and have only added 1/2 qt since. Checked my gph yesterday and I burned exactly 5 measured gallons in 2 hrs and 57 minutes. That would be about 1.65 gph. Think last time I checked was closer to 1.5 but did mow some big weeds in addition to grass this time around. So far this is a great machine, comfortable and a good cut. BTW, I did get the optional seat and it does have both a lumbar and seat back adjustment. Worth the extra $$ but negotiated mine on the purchase.

4. greenology

I think they would do a great job of this. They run from the hydro pumps themselves, not electric fans as I thought they were. Anyway they create quite a good amount of air flow, which will certainly keep grass clippings etc from building up around the pumps!

5. edbeek

edbeek LawnSite Member

Yep Greeno. I found them. Probably need some fine tuning as I go along.
    I'll get a few hours on it later this week.

6. greenology

I changed mine on the w/e, 4.9hrs. Did you use the Briggs sae 30? Im a little surprised to hear u used that much oil over 10hrs, unless this is typical of breaking in an engine? Or if u use a multi grade oil then I guess that's understandable.

The fuel usage figures appear to be pretty good.

7. Growin Green

Growin Green LawnSite Member

That's interesting. I did not even notice they are not electric.

8. greenology

Same here, only have 2 small jobs later in the week

Guess we should make the most of it, another month and it wont be so quiet :nono:

9. farmmower

farmmower LawnSite Member

I switched to the suggested 5W30 Mobil One syn. I didn't think a half quart, could have been a little less, was too bad for a new engine but not sure. Ok if it doesn't increase.

10. greenology

Yea I assumed they would be electric, but on closer inspection not so. Im not sure why they did away with the shrouds, maybe leaves and grass build up on top of them & render them useless. Havnt had that problem on other ZTRs but its all I can think off.