Ferris 3100 61" 36 BB review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by greenology, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Growin Green

Growin Green LawnSite Member

Did you replace the blades with OEM or aftermarket?
    Your fuel use is better than I thought it would be. That's is not bad. (imo).

2. edbeek

edbeek LawnSite Member

I don't have my manuals yet, so is the first oil/filter change @ 5 hrs? I thought the dealer mentioned 10 hrs with monograde 30 and then again @ 50 hrs for oil/valve clearance/checkover etc.
    Your fuel economy seems good Farmmower. I'd be happy with that.

3. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I think its ok to expect some extra oil usage with a multi grade like that, I would have been surprised though if you were using the sae 30.

4. greenology

Yea first change @ 5hrs without filter. Then 100hrs with filter, from memory.

I used the briggs 30 sae oil, the dealer mechanic said that's what they used to keep warranty happy.

I don't think theres any need for checking valve clearance etc at 50hrs, its a load of hog wallop on the dealers hehalf IMO. My dealer told me this aswell. However someone on here might be able to confirm whether the clearances need checking etc, but I don't think so.

5. farmmower

farmmower LawnSite Member

I bought a second set of blades and went with the OEM. From past posts I believe there is an advantage to staying with the OEMs. There was a slight change in the blade lift with the ICD deck and the steel is perhaps higher quality with the OEM blades. I plan to sharpen and balance my own blades with the Magna-Matic.

6. greenology

I checked my manual, only says to check valve clearances at 250hrs.

However I see an online manual http://www.manualslib.com/manual/20895/Briggs-And-Stratton-Vanguard-540000.html?page=5#manual is recommending to check at first 50hrs, then every 250 hrs. So disregard what I say!

I just remember the dealer telling me this with the Hustler, then when I did take it in the mechanical told me there was no need to do it. So I assumed they were giving me a load of crap when I bought it, so I would bring it in for a paid service! They never ended up checking it, but should have.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Maybe it's just me being too careful green, but I always change the filter with the first oil change (all my manuals have always said to do so too). I don't want all the metal particulates that wear off of new engine parts and are in the break in oil floating around until the next oil change.:nono:

8. farmmower

farmmower LawnSite Member

New filter each time is cheap insurance. Filter is a pain to change unless you have the flat style grooved filter remover. Tried other methods to no avail as factory set filter very tight on my machine.

9. greenology

I don't think the FX850 manual I had mentioned doing filter on first 5hr change. Not saying yours doesn't, just saying that they must give out different manuals :hammerhead:

I was of the opinion that if the manu didn't mention it needed it, then Id go along with that. However I tend to agree with you, its a cheap thing to change over, so Ill pick one up next opportunity and change him over :drinkup:

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Mine was a recommendation by Deere since they warranty all the engines they sell, instead of the engine manu doing the warranty. Maybe that was the difference, I dunno. I tend to be cautious when it comes to stuff like that, and maybe I'm overboard on it, but like I said above, I just don't like the idea of all the wear-in metal particles being in the oil that is supposed to be clean and protect the engine and provide decent longevity.

Better safe than sorry eh?:drinkup: