Ferris 3100 61" 36 BB review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by greenology, Jul 18, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

With the Gravely air seat less air gives you more dampening and a softer ride. More air give you less dampening and a firmer ride. I personally like my air seat in the 1-2" up range. It all depends on weight and personal preference. The seat isolators also play a huge role in how the Gravely seat feels. Even with no air it rides really good.

2. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Didn't get the opportunity yest, only had 2x 1 acre lots so not enough open area for testing. Today however I have a 5 acre place I should be able to get the figures. I did test it a week ago, was getting 13 mph on a smooth surface & 12 mph cutting but I think it fluctuated between 12-13mph while cutting. Anyhow Id like to do it again to clarify. My GPS is a couple yr old & it doesn't have 0.5 increments which is a shame. I will give it another go today.

3. greenology

Would you say the Air seat is a good percentage better than a Mech seat? If you have used a Mech seat, which Im sure you have.

4. GMLC

IMO there is a big difference. Plus the air seat can be adjusted more to your preference. Also the Gravely seat uses some kind of memory foam. Not sure about the puffer seat?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  5. greenology

Nah the puffer seat is just an insert, so you need to retain your factory seat. I would imagine the Gravely could be a little better, but the puffer might be the next best thing. I just don't recall a great benefit at all from a Mech susp seat & I think they would cost me roughly the same price.

6. GMLC

If you like your current seat it seems the puffer would be a good option. I didnt know it was just an insert, thanks for informing me.

7. greenology

Gave the speed a good test today, consistently cutting at 12 mph without any hesitation. Cutting up a gradient will still make 11 mph. Definitely more productive for me as I can do between 9-12 mph basically all the time if theres enough length in each run. The cut is excellent, will get back to you on cut in spring/summer. But expecting great results.

8. greenology

Yea I thought the same thing in the beginning.

I havnt made my mind up as yet, I can live without it, but on the other hand over the long term its not that big of an investment & helps that little bit further in preserving the back. eh :confused:

9. JTLarson

JTLarson LawnSite Member

I should say we made the assumption it was a twisted belt. After if kicked off the first time he put it back on & it instantly kicked back off when he engaged the blades. When putting it back on the second time we noticed it had a twist (which must have been undetected under the covers in the deck pulleys). He hasn't had it happen since.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The ICD deck does a great job, and as I told you long ago, I felt the Ferris 3100 was your mower, and from what I'm gathering from you so far, it appears that is the case.