1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ferris 3100 Positives/Negatives

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by greenology, Apr 11, 2013.

1. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

2. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't need suspension in your mowing area why have it?, they are not popular here for that reason.

There is one dealer in the area and I talked to him about the Ferris mowers he sold and he verified what I said. It is more to go wrong.

I looked at one in detail a 3100 and I felt there are more heavy duty machines out there but if you do have properties that are rough I can see it being great for that.

3. greenology

Yea couldn't agree more, if I didn't need a better ride, Id still own a SZ, ( aside from cutting issues )

4. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

What machines are more heavy duty?

5. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

All of any commercial mowers are made to last
    The ferris 3100 is a heavy duty mower. They use Hercules spindles and many other high quality parts. I have had many commercial brands in the past and they all hold up to the heavy duty abuse.that is just my opinion
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CurbAppealKS

CurbAppealKS LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct Williams. The mower industry in general is made up of quality machines. It's all about what color you want on your trailer. There are a few that offer special/different features that set them apart. And ferris is one of them. In my time operating the ferris, the only problem it had was a spindle locking up and smoking the deck belt. I talked to my old boss the other day and to this day, all he has had to do since then is oil/filters/blades. I would say that they are as reliable as any other manufacturer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Ones that are simpler, the one I looked at was pretty heavy duty. There were a few things I noticed about it that were just over complicated.

8. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, i guess i'll have to ask again? What machines are more heavy duty? You didn't answer my question.

Over complicated, please elaborate on this?

9. greenology

Any of you guys know what brand and cc are the hydros on the latest 3100 ? Cheers

10. skew

skew LawnSite Member

Pumps are Hydro-gear 16cc
    Parker wheel motors