Ferris 3100 Positives/Negatives

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by greenology, Apr 11, 2013.

1. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

2. greenology

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That's all looking quite good for the conditions right now. I doubt you'll see that much difference in QOC when growing season rolls around for you guys down there, but ya never know I guess.

4. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

Hi Green, Is the cut in those last photos at 3 inches or below....?? I find that the grass looks a little short.....!!!

Looks to be a great cut all the same.

:usflag: *trucewhiteflag* :usflag:

5. greenology

Tend to agree with you, I cant foresee this iCD deck giving me much to stress about!

6. greenology

Hey, yep cut too low for winter that's for sure, but the home owner/client is a good friend of mine and he didn't mind me doing this for a decent test! He owns a John Deere himself and has been shaking his head at the bad QOC from the VX4 & is right on board with me testing new ZTRs !

Honestly I couldn't say the exact height, I can only say I had the deck set at 1.5" on the pin, but being a demo machine I didn't get time to check the height was correct, however I highly doubt it was cutting at 1.5" as that would cut into dirt no doubt. Im guessing somewhere between 2-2.5" was the height.

That grass is predominately Kikuya, which is happy at a height off 1.5" providing its cut regularly & irrigated/fed as with most grasses I assume. However when using a 60" wide deck, you cant cut undulations at 1.5" without getting into the dirt.

I regularly use the SP mower to cut our grasses over here between 1.4-1.7". Not sure how that compares to you guys when your using push mowers, but im assuming you would maintain the 3"+ height.

7. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

I have not used a push mower in almost thirty years, but the snapper self propelled I used a long time ago, was set at 3 1/4 inches. I have always cut high.

This is the results of my first cut on the Cheetah at 3 1/2 inches

[​IMG]

8. greenology

Looks excellent!

9. greenology

Well Gravely wouldn't come to the party with a 460 demo. My only dealer for gravely here tried explaining to me the 252 would be my best option, compares more in line with a 3100z. I don't know whether that's the case or not, but the point was I needed to demo the 460 for the air ride seat & they just weren't prepared to demo it in the end. Another thing is I really needed to test that deck in the summer conditions, however we're now in mid winter.

So I went with the 3100z. It fits my criteria quite well, so heres hoping it wont be a lemon like cimkills and all will be good for some productive mowing!

10. greenology