1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ferris 3100 Positives/Negatives

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by greenology, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Is that pic an ICD deck? No way it can be, almost looks like he was mowing at half throttle or something.

2. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, brand new ICD deck! what makes you say half throttle?

The only issue I can see is the lower cutting on the left side, which imo is due to the suspension. I havent seen this bad a result from any other ZTR. However Im led to beleive this is due to the is2500 being a bad make, with a heavy diesel in too light duty a frame.

3. showmestaterida

showmestaterida LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I see the dealer not setting up the deck correctly. I bought a walkbehind brand new last year and the deck was way off. Nothing surprises me from dealers.

4. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

When i bought my IS3100Z my dealer didn't set it up the way i wanted it or close to what i believe to be correct. None the less it still cut better than that pic.

Maybe it's the type of grass (what is it, hard to tell). Was there a chute blocker or a mulch kit on this? Just looks like there was no vacuum on the cut.

5. greenology

Yea could be I supposes others have mentioned. bit of a coincidence, but it would also explain why its cutting in so deep if the deck hasnt been levelled.

6. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

It's not from the suspension you can get that out of your head... To me it looks like a bent blade...
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Choppin

The deck dosnt move with the suspension no more than it does with the tires compressing....
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greenology

If a bent blade was going to cause this type of cut then It would vibrate the deck like crazy, would ruin the spindle in no time. that wasnt happening.

9. greenology

If not the suspension, the only other thing is tyres being lower on one side of the machine, or deck not levelled correctly when setup.

The deck most certainly does move with the suspension. I think you may need to take another look at it.

10. Choppin

Nope have bad a bent blade do the same thing before... No extra vibrations....
    Posted via Mobile Device