Ferris 3100Z shocks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JTLarson, Jan 10, 2014.

1. JTLarson

JTLarson LawnSite Member

The rubber grommets on my shocks are dry cracked and shot. The shocks are fine, just the rubber is faulty on the mounting ends. Ferris only sells replacement shocks for $120-$125 each, but not just the grommets. Has anyone came up with a replacement solution for the grommets without spending $125 for an entire shock when the rest of it is fine? Less than 800 hours on the machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Something made of polyurethane would solve that problem. I bet a skateboard wheel on the lathe could be shaped into a bushing that would work. Maybe convert to a solid bushing? HD has drawers of them in the harware section.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. hemiman

hemiman LawnSite Member
    from Earth

I would check with NAPA auto parts store to see if they had something that would work

4. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Eh dont worry about it. Just run it. I have never done anything to any shocks on my ferris's. Ive put around 10,000 hours on multiple z's and it doesn't make a difference.

5. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

To the op,

Mine have steel bushings in them, is your's an older model?

6. JTLarson

JTLarson LawnSite Member

There is getting to be quite a bit of slop on the front shock and I notice an occasional slap/bang when the bolt sleeves move before the shock. The shocks are set on the softest setting.
    This is a 2011 IS3100Z with a 72" deck. I will try to get a pic posted later today.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree. Poly would be the way to go.

Lots of moving parts on Ferris means a bit more maintenance.

To the OP, how much deck bounce/sway are you getting?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

They are monroe shocks. Check for parts with them

9. JTLarson

JTLarson LawnSite Member

Attached are a couple of photos of the bushings on the right front shock.
    I have a friend that works in a machine shop and could make me something up out of poly or metal.

I don't seem to have much deck bounce, but I have a lot of sway. I replaced the bar and plastic bushings on the push arms trying to eliminate some of it, and they were worn, but it still has a lot of sway. Turning slowly in my drive with the window down on my truck I can hear the deck banging back and forth and it drives me nuts!!!

2014-01-11_12-18-53_838.jpg

2014-01-11_12-19-04_913.jpg

10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I have demoed several now with excessive deck sway and bounce. Otherwise awesome machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device