1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris 32" hydro demo today.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G. Moose, Feb 23, 2003.

1. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

Hey everybody, I went to my Ferris dealer today and tried one of the 32" hydros with a 13hp V-TWIN Kawasaki. This thing has more power than it knows what to do with. I like the mower alot. It's pretty long (over 6 feet) but not too heavy(400lb?). Being a single pump, you don't steer by working the handle bars. You have to turn it by hand the way you would a 21" mower. Not sure I like it but it's not too heavy so I think I can deal with it.

My questions:

1) is the single pump a problem? i.e. will it last as long as dual?

2) When ever I pushed the thumb control bars to make it move foward (it has that "comfort control" or whatever setup) Something around the pump area made like a groaning/vibrating noise/feel. The dealer said it was the idler pulley for the pump and that it was nothing to worry about. But he didn't seem to confident with his words. That noise did NOT sound right. I know nothing about hydro but I do know a bad noise when I hear one. Is this just something bizarre on one mower or is it something common and/or normal on all Ferrises?

Help me out guys- I really want the mower but I don't know about that noise.

By the way, the dealor wants $2350. How does that sound?

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

hhhmmm.....In another thread I mentioned that I had seen this mower at a trade show and you had to mannually steer it. It was then said that I must have been mistaking as they do indeed steer with breaks. I know for sure I would not buy a "commercial" mower you had to maneuver with you own strength!
  3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd think a 400 lb +/- mower you had to manually steer would be a real problem on hills! Unfortunately, Ferris is yet another example of a website w/o sufficient detail on the mower to draw people into dealerships.
  4. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

Well, we don't have any hills around here.....this is coastal Texas! It's not as hard to turn as you think...I'm 6'3" 175lb.

Anyhow, anybody got comments on the noise? That's my big concern.

P.S. Just went to the website- mower is 375 lb.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

ha...I guess not on the hills... My smaller belt drive weighs about that much and I get some good arm burn in the shoulders after a few hours of just turning it in spots where I can't use the T bar (wet turf I want to protect), but except for belt slippage on wet days I don't see any reason to get a single hydro that only goes 5.5 mph and has to be manhandled to steer. A good belt drive would suit me better.
  6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

that would be a good mower not to buy. After 8 hours in the hot Texas sun. pushing every turn. Then you will know it was a big mistake to buy the mower. Then it's to late.
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I thought someone else who had demoed it said that it DID have instant reverse like a regular hydro???

As far as the noise, hydros do make a noise that I suppose could be described as a "groan".

Boy, I'm going to find all the Ferris 32" Hydro threads and print them out and take them to the local dealer that said he wasn't getting any in stock because he doesn't think there will be that much interest in them!!! Seems like alot of interest to me!
    Several threads on them recently.
    I know I'm interested. Just want some FACTS though.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have made many replies on the subject of the Ferris 32" mower...so has GarPA.
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It's The same trans as the three wheel Rider. It Has Instant Rev But No Turning Power Like a real Z Turn. They have Had This Type Mower Out for years.
  10. stang358

stang358 LawnSite Member

Well according to their website it is kinda unclear. From what I can see in the pictures, there is no real steering mechanisms. However if you go to read the specs on it under controls it states:

User-friendly speed and direction controls with operator

And under comfort controls:

I.C.C. - Integrated Comfort Controls

To me having to man-handle a 375lb machine is not "Integrated Comfort"