Ferris 4500 w/ 35hp B&S???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by krugdl, Mar 29, 2005.

1. krugdl

krugdl LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

Any opinions / feedback regarding the 35hp liquid cooled B&S vangard big block know very little about it. I am very interested in the Ferris IS 4500 with this engine and the 72" deck. I demoed the 5000 with the 31.5hp Cat diesel. It was awsome....... but so was the price tag (about $14.5k). I want to hear pros & cons regarding the B&S 35hp and the IS 45000

Thank you in advance for your feedback. :rolleyes:

2. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

I don't have any experience but from what I've heard the B&S engine is made by dihatsu in cooperation with briggs. It's a briggs in name only. I could be wrong through. I don't follow briggs too closely.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: krugdl, ferris now has the 28hp Cat which i demoed the other day and it to is awesome, just bought one from the demo alone and should be here by weeks end. i got it with a 61" deck. sweet machine.

4. krugdl

krugdl LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

GG I like the 28hp cat/perkins diesel also but you cant get a 72" deck with this engine, only the vanguard 35hp lc. I currently have a 72" decdk and dont want to downsize. The ride was excellent! What do you think the fuel consumption would be with that big block B&S 35hp lc?

5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I heard they really suck the gas.

6. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have the 35lc B&S on my 61" scag turf tiger. It is one sweet motor. It starts easy, runs so smooth and is quiet. I picked it up a month ago. On gas milage I figure it will get worse then some in certain situations and about the same in others... in long grass it wont bog as much as smaller moters there for not loosing any more on gas.

7. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

yes it is a Daihatsu motor and they are made by Toyota
    [​IMG]
    and the HP/torque chart for the 35
    [​IMG]

overall they are a good motor, but I think I think that block is maxed out, it is the same 29 hp block and they just made a cam change and some other "secretive" changes to it

8. krugdl

krugdl LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

Is that a bad thing? I truly don't know. They also offer a 28hp cat diesel on this model. Which one would be the best B&S gasser or the cat diesel.

9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

The Ferris website says nothing about the 4500 being available with a 72" deck. My stepdad sell ferris and said that they only come with the 61" deck.

IMO take a look at the 4000 (I think they still make it). I have one with 72" deck and 31hp LC 3 cyclinder dihatsu/vangaurd and it does great. I would say that it uses about 1.5 gallons per hour.

4000.JPG

10. krugdl

krugdl LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

All Ferris, in the 2005 sales lit. it states that the IS 4500 offers a 72" in combo with the B&S 35hp lc. However, Ferris web site only states it comes with a 61" deck and that only the 5000 offers a 72" option. I'm not sure why they wouldnt offer the 72" option in the 4500 series. Also, the dealer told me today that the 2005 IS5000 has the same suspension as the IS4500. Can anyone confirm.