1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ferris 5000z/ green ind. exp.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xxwd5000, Oct 15, 2002.

1. xxwd5000

xxwd5000 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

what can you guys tell me about the ferris mowers ? just got a new pro magizine and say the new 5000z. has anyone out there ran one yet ? i talked to the closest dealer to me and he has two in stock. price wise it is very compairable to the dixie i am running now. it's got to ride better the dixie can really test your back out. also whats the scoop on the green industry exp. that is in nashville on the 14-16 of november ?
  2. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

The 5000IS is incredible strong and has a great ride. The suspension helps the way it sticks to hills. I like it alot. I have used one several times. It's draw backs are its weight and it only come with a 72" deck. I wish they could put it on a diet and offer it with a 61" deck.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The sound of that Cat diesel is pure music!:angel:
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The IS 1000 looks good to me. Now I just got to find one to demo. Anyone run these?
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I ran one for (IS5000 Z) for a couple of days. The thing is a tank. It does hold hills better than I accepted. I'm told it is because of the full independent suspension. And it sure purrs nicely with that Cat motor.

16K for a mower is a lot of money though. And I am waiting to see what kind of vac system they are going to come up with for it. That thing will top 2K lbs. I bet with one...and that will be without any leaves or grass in it.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I rode one and wasn't impressed. I thought it would be a smooth ride but that was not the case. My Chopper is smoother and the Hustler I demo'd there at the same time was smoother than the Ferris.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't have one.
  7. jgoran5

jgoran5 LawnSite Member

Well as they say opinions are like a**holes everyone has one.

Here is my opinion with the IS4000 I bought with a 27 HP Kaw for close to $10,000

First day I used it the clutch blows. Didn't even cut with it and I had to bring it back. At the same time I found out the safeties on the machine aren't functioning. Then the throttle lever was not staying in high throttle position and I had to replace it. Then I had the frame break at the weld on one side and they told me that they knew about this problem and had a kit to fix it. A couple of weeks later the other side breaks also. Duh, you think they would have fixed both at the same time if this was a known problem. While I'm waiting to get the machine back the dealer says oh yea there was a recall on the suspension and there is a kit that beefs up the suspension on the rear so we installed it. I also had the deck fall off because one of the bolts that holds it in wasn't on when it was put together at the dealer so I had to rig something for a month while I waited for the bracket to hold it on was ordered. The safeties switches and warning buzzers don't work after having the dealer fix them from the get go. Now I find out that the engine is blown because the warning indicators (buzzer and light) that I thought would avoid this problem weren't working.

I have had this machine in the shop more times than I care to think about and really regret not getting an exmark. My dealer tells me that Ferris said they won't cover the engine because it was my responsibility to not run the machine hot, even though the warning indicators weren't operating. I have 3 mowing crews and Bobcat, Scag, Great Dane and Ferris equip and I will never buy another Ferris. The machine only has about 400 hours on it and I've had all these problems in less than 2 years. I have all the reciepts to back up everthing I have had done to this machine and when I called Ferris directly they blew me right off. Unbelievable!!!

In will be going to Ex-Mark for future Z purchases this year!!!!!
    Hope this helps.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear you have had so much trouble with the Ferris.

I know you can get a lemon in anything, I have heard a few similar stories with other makes too. But, if that were me and I had forked out $10,000 on a machine and had that much trouble, I'd be expecting a new replacement, end of story.

Or....:nono: :angry: :realmad: :blob2: :gunsfirin :angel:

Well, you get the picture! :drinkup:
  9. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

jgoran5... sorry to hear about all the problems you have had with that ferris. We all have had our experiences with lemons, but it also sounds like to me your dealer messed up alot more than Ferris causing even more problems. I also heard that The first couple of years Ferris IS was out their mowers were bad, but that the now fixed all their glitches. DOn't rule them out... you seem like a reasonable man after all you do run Gret Dane:D .
  10. iski3d

iski3d LawnSite Member
    from NH

I wouldent rush to buy an exmark mine has not been good at all. $10,000 and 300 hrs later it is in the shop nonstop!